Little Black Widow

Marlene KindredJune 20, 2011

DH has been working off some steam today, so he decided to make a Black Widow spider. He used a glass bottle and painted the inside of the bottle black for the body. He's thinking he might like to make these to sell since they are a manageable size...about 12 inches across at the widest part of the legs. The body could be painted any color or to order. What do you think? Think they are sellable? And anyone have any experience with pricing something like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwahlton(9B Kisimee)

I love it. I think they would sell very well. Maybe $15-$20?

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 5:15PM
jeannespines

No idea on pricing...but this is a scary-looking widow!! I hope your DH got rid of his inhibitions on this one! LOL! Nice work! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 12:08AM
marylee_2010

Marlene...Your DH has certainly been busy. That spider is awesome.
Marylee

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 12:47AM
sunnyca_gw

Very impressive spider! He'd be hard to miss in the garden!! Jan

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 2:16AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I love it! I want one (or 2). As much as I would LOVE to pay $20 for this spider, I think $30 to $40 would be sellable. If you have an inexpensive source of supplies, and it doesn't take much time - for $20 they would sell like hotcakes. I think it would be good to vary them a bit so people feel like they are choosing their special one.

Below is a link to a similar sized bug on etsy for $45. BTW, you can "like" things on etsy and in that way keep track of whether they sell or not. Just keep your own list of prices, cuz once its sold the price disappears. Your Dh could watch a few etsy bugs, write the prices and see if they sell to get an idea of what the market will bear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal bug on etsy

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 8:57AM
excessfroufrou(7)

That is scary looking, but I'm sure they would sell well. What kind of bottle is that? In my area $20.00 would be a fair price.
Frou

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 10:32AM
jwahlton(9B Kisimee)

Yes, what kind of bottle is that? And what are the legs made of and how are they attached? They are very cool

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:01PM
Marlene Kindred

It's a clear glass bottle with a cork stopper that I ordered online to try for a hummingbird feeder (that didn't work very well). DH spray painted it black inside. You could use any color paint. The legs are welded to a small metal plate...he used the metal wire that comes on those pesky real estate signs that litter the roads. The head and eyes are metal balls that he ordered online in bulk. Simple for him...not so simple for me since I can't weld.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:55PM
oldcrafty(8)

I LUV him....$20.00 sounds a little low....and I agree...paint some differnetly. I like choosing one with character....or what ever hits me when I see it...when there is several to choose from.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 4:20PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Love your husband's spiders. I'd say $25, but make several since they will probably sell out right away. If you have a little garden display to showcase them, maybe also make a little Halloween display and get people thinking about how they can use these on their porches in the fall. They are just the right size, and Oh, SOOO Cute!!
-Sprout

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 12:22PM
caroline94535

Does she have the red "hour glass" on the underside of her abdomen?

I love your Little Black Widow!

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:03PM
Marlene Kindred

Yes, she does have the red hour glass...not sure he'll do that again though...it was hard to do.

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 11:40AM
toomuchglass(5)

At first I thought it was made of a Christmas tree ornament . I love it !!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Glass Totems at Longwood Garden
I was amazed to see several glass totem bird baths...
frankielynnsie
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™