Making garden signs

farmsteward(North Carolina 7)June 30, 2012

Hi all, I want to make some garden signs from some boards that I have, but want to do it right. Can anyone point me to step-by-step instructions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

You have the boards so just need some good quality outdoor paint, or if small signs you can use Patio Paint in craft sections at WalMart, Michael's or Joanne's or other craft shops& brushes either flat artist brushes or I guess foam brush or regular paintbrush depends on how wide you want the letters.If you have never painted letters do a couple of practice pieces.I sometimes use an old flannel back tablecloth as easy to wipe off spills & protects whatever is underneath. Usually works best to have board flat & then put it on pole or whatever after it is dry. Think most are done free-hand but if you are terrible at lettering you can buy stencils at the same craft places I mentioned. When finished if you give it a couple of clear spray coats of Krylon it will help keep them nice longer., at least that is how I do it. If your question is what to put on the signs, well that's different, I typed in "garden sayings" I think it was & came up with lots & lots "Garden of Weeding""Turtle Crossing" "Butterflies Welcome" etc. So lots of sayings to pick from. If you can do art work add butterflies, birds, flowers etc. Jan

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:01AM
rosepetal2

I have also read that if you trace onto the wood you should lightly go over your lines (before painting) with a small nail to make a slight groove in the wood to keep the paint "inside" the lines. Good luck with your project.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 1:46PM
psbjmb

If you're on pinterest, search for garden signs, and you'll find tons of examples - and many will lead you to sites with directions on how they were made. I've made a few, and it's so much fun! If you get tired of one, you can paint over and have something new :-)

Patty

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 1:33PM
farmsteward(North Carolina 7)

Thank you all for the help. I may give it a try this weekend and see how it goes.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:55PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Be sure to post pics of what you make farsteward! I want to make some, but I'm still weeding my gardens! Eager to see what you do.
Kathy

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Chain link fence arbor how-to ideas?
I have a new chain link fence running from my house...
servelan
bowling ball revisited
Just finished a couple of bowling balls for the garden;...
indigosunshine
A Birdhouse Trellis
Here is a birdhouse trellis I made this summer from...
kirkus
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Old shutters into kitchen island and more
http://theownerbuildernetwork.co/easy-diy-projects/diy-shutter-turned-kitchen-island/. Really...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™