Timing of next pre-emergent application.

syanoFebruary 4, 2009

I live in Atlanta, GA and have a Bermuda Tifway419 lawn. I last treated the lawn on November 15, 2008 using Lesco 0-0-7 Dimension pre-emergent. I havenÂt done anything since then.

My question is:

I want to hit the timing right on the next pre-emergent application and was wondering when I should apply the next treatment and will Lesco 0-0-7 Dimension pre-emergent be a good enough product to use?

I was debating splitting the next treatment into two sessions and laying one down in mid Feb and the next down in the middle of March .... or if that was too soon then I could lay the 1st session down in mid March and the 2nd down in mid April. Which is the best? Or should I do something different altogether.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The generally accepted timing for preemergents is when the forsythia bloom. Personally I've never had good luck with any preemergent materials so you do what you want to do.

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 7:08PM
wrager(Z5 OH)

My LESCO dealer advised NOT to use Dimension for my first Pre-M application as it only controls crab grass. I used a standard Pre-M (can't remember which) to control the winter weeds. Then I followed it with AMAZE, which has 2-or 3 ingredients that last upto 6 months.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 6:57PM
texas-weed(7A)

My LESCO dealer advised NOT to use Dimension for my first Pre-M application as it only controls crab grass.

Well I don't know that is quite true or not, he might of been trying to sell you something else. Dimension controls:

Crabgrass (preemergence and early postemergence)
Goosegrass
Annual bluegrass (Poa annua)
Barnyardgrass
Ryegrass (annual and perennial)
Kikuyugrass
Chickweed
Henbit
Oxalis
Spurge

Now with that said he didn't outright lie to you either as AMAZE controls more, last longer, but more expensive, but Lesco does not carry AMAZE, they carry a similar product in a liquid form for commercial application. AMAZE contains Balan and Surflan.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 8:30PM
wrager(Z5 OH)

Good to know TW. You're right, LESCO doesn't carry AMAZE. I use it now because of your advice previously.
It really works!

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 7:45PM
texas-weed(7A)

wraer I am curious now, what did the LESCO offer in place of Dimension?

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 9:29AM
wrager(Z5 OH)

I used whatever their standard pre-M is. Maybe it was "Halts" based. They said wait for late winter to use Dimension.

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 10:47AM
dankoej_juno_com

I went to a class held by LESCO and their plan was to put down the first application of Dimension around April 1. They said some other weed seeds don't germinate until the ground gets much warmer. That is the reason for the second application of Dimension around June 1 but no later than June 20. It worked very well for me.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™