Philodendron fungus??

contritionNovember 13, 2010

Hi,

I'm in Arizona and I am going to college right now. I live in a dorm and have been keeping a houseplant in my room for the past 2 years.

Recently I noticed a strange growth on my plant (a philodendron, I am not sure which kind). I thought it was a flower but it kept growing and growing until it looked like a worm. My sister thought it might be a fungus, and I think she might be right. So my question is, can you help me identify what it is and how I can get my plant back to healthy if this is indeed a parasitic growth?

Thanks!

I'm including pictures. In the first one you can see the wormish growth I mentioned. In the second one you can see it again and some other growths which started coming out of the philo's stem at different angles.

Pictures:

In the second picture, you can see the stem of the large growth going off the top of the picture (and where it comes out of the stem, which is near the bottom), and then 3 smaller growths.

Please help me heal my poor plant :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brodyjames_gw

Those are roots....these plants are climbers and send out new roots as they spread. Pothos do the same thing.

Nancy

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 1:08PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Use the search words "adventitious roots" if you want more info.

If you don't like them, simply prune them off flush to/with the stems as they appear.

Al

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 2:00PM
contrition

Thank you both so much! I am so relieved!

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 6:26PM
birdsnblooms

Not a fungus..They're Air roots. You can prune them, but they grow longer as your Philo matures.
I like the look of long roots, gives the plant character, especially when Philo is staked. Toni

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
March flowers 2015
Old thanksgiving cactus blooming later than normal. Hoya...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™