Saving the Hell Strip!

Boats3(9a - San Antonio)February 6, 2013

GW gurus, definitely a yardophile, but just found this forum a week or so ago ... glad I did; I think I may addicted to searching in this forum.

Wanted opinions on maintaining the Hell Strip. I have 419 that is nice and thick and healthy when it greens up, but the builders (house was built in 2007) laid the sod on top of base dirt that was already at the level of the sidewalk/curb. So now it looks like I have been top dressing for 50 years or so. I keep it edged, but as it gets closer to the driveway, it surges up to about 3" tall because the dirt underneath is so high.

Any way to "undress" it? I'd really like to have a level strip.

Thanks!
Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I suppose you could rent core aerating machine and remove the cores and put cores somewhere, perhaps in the low spot?

Either that or rent sod cutter and level it out and put sod back. The question is.. what to do with excess dirt?

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 5:47PM
Boats3(9a - San Antonio)

Thanks lou, I'm actually trying to get the high part back down to level with the sidewalk/curb. It looks like I have 4" bermuda near the driveway!! The OCD in me is going crazy, lol

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:08AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

LOL! If you can find a power rake, slit seeder, or any tool with vertical cutting blades (for rent), you can adjust it to dig down 1/4 inch and loosen the soil. Then sweep out what you don't want. This will chop up your 419, too. You might want to wait until June when the 419 is growing great and all the weeds in the area will be too heat stressed to fill in. The 419 loves to be chopped up. Makes it come back thicker.

I assume you have found the Bermuda Bible online and memorized it. If not, go looking for it.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 12:30AM
Boats3(9a - San Antonio)

Hehe, haven't memorized it yet. I have a copy taped to my windshield though, lol. Thanks for the cutting suggestion, that never would have occurred to me!
Matt

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
I want the best yard in the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Wes and I'm pretty much a first time...
wesottinger
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
Need help with my grass
Each year my grass is having more dead spots and brown...
jbpadgett09
Need help with a disaster!
So we just moved in to our new home my wife fell in...
Roland Sanchez
Caring for new sod in Vancouver, BC
Hi, I just have new sod installed a month ago. They...
Arthaith Swan
Sponsored Products
14x24 Jungle Strip Lumbar Accent Pillow
$46.95 | Bellacor
Leucos | Shaker TR1 Floor Lamp
YLighting
Ferros Semi-Flushmount by Lithonia Lighting
$103.77 | Lumens
Unbranded Illuminada Eucalyptus Dusk ll 37.5 in. x 10.25 in. Decorative Wall Lig
$81.97 | Home Depot
Villa Collection Wall-Mount Soap Dish
Signature Hardware
Pro Track Portland Bronze Adjustable LED Track Fixture
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™