Rhipsalis ?? ID...

puglvr1(9b central FL)November 6, 2013

I was hoping someone might know exactly what the name of this plant is? I paid $1 for it about 6-7 months ago at Lowe's (rescued) with No ID or tag...its doubled or tripled in size since then.

Is it even a Rhipsalis, that's what someone said it might be...

Two different types of leaves on the same plant/pot..

One is thick grows straight up and is triangular in shape...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

The others are very thin, flat and hangs down...

Thanks!!

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 1:38PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Is it possible you have two different plants there? One looks to have multiple sides (more than two) and the flat one looks like it has just two sides. The only Rhipsalis that comes to mind for the multi-sided one is R. lepismium. Not sure if that's a correct ID, but maybe it will lead you in the right direction.

Planto

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 2:45PM
pelargonium_gw

I have a cactus that reminds me a bit of this one, it has some long flat leaves (or what to call them) and some with multiple sides, even hexagonal. I am absolutely sure it is one plant, i got it as a small cutting at a meeting in the garden society with houseplant trading. It has soft spikes, almost like hairs. Could it be an epiphyllum?

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 3:26PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks for your suggestions Plantomaniac and Pelargonium...it certainly could be epiphyllum? I don't know rhipsalis or epiphylum well enough to be able to tell,lol...

I went to check on it again and it appears that there is new growth that is the 3 sided (triangular) version growing from one of the thin flat stem...so it appears to be the same plant with two very distinct stems/leaves? Very strange...

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 5:18PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I wish I could help, Nancy!
Sure looks to be a vigorous grower, though ;0

Josh

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:42PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Nancy,
Wish I could be of more help than that, but you have quite a find there and I have no idea beyond rhipsalis or some kind of epi. If nobody can give you an ID by the end of the week, you could try the Cactus and Succulent forum. :)

Planto

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:49PM
flowerpottipper

That plant really looks like one I bought not too long ago from exotic angels at walmart... the one I have is called Lepismium cruciforme, it gets those white fuzzy hairs at each spot the thorns grow. It is in the rhipsalis family, or closly related, it it turns very bright red in the right conditions.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 11:07PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

You guys have been a lot of help... I appreciate all suggestions! Maybe "if" it ever blooms? It would be easier to ID it...

Flowerpot...I think this is an Exotic Angel plant, Lowe's carries mostly EA in their houseplants dept.

Josh, it has been a pretty fast grower.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™