Help Rubber Plant Dying

Nita14November 11, 2013

Hi
I had this Rubber plant inside near window with decent sunlight. Its leaves drooped suddenly. I tried watering more, keeping it outisde in Sun but it has not helped.
Please can someone help. Is it some disease. I do not want the plant to die.
I have lost one rubber plant like that just a month before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Nita,

I realize you're upset about the plant, but you've posted this 3 times already today.

Pls. allow people 1 day or 2 (at least) to respond.

Also, since it's likely to be a problem w/ your soil, pls. show pix &/or describe the soil otherwise it's unlikely we can offer much help.

Does the pot have a hole in the bottom?

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 3:31PM
grrr4200(z3 MI)

from the picture you posted on the other thread, your plant is toast. Looks to be overwatered. The stalk looks like its shriveling more then likely from root rot.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:10AM
Nita14

Dear pirate_girl
I know I posted by mistake 3 times but you are right I am over anxious. Thankfully I am getting some good advise and understand this must have happened due to soil which retain water-the pot does have a hole in the bottom.
Can the plant be revived?

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:23AM
Nita14

Dear grrr4200
thanks-yes I now understand now that root rot has set in. Can anything be done to revive?

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:26AM
tropicbreezent

They grow very easily from cuttings, which would be one way to preserve it. But if you remove it from the soil, clean it up and trim off roots that are rotting or damaged it should be okay in new, light, fast draining soil. A lot of these Ficus start off life as an epiphyte in a tree, eventually sending roots down to the ground. So they cope with drought better than they do with too much water.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:34AM
grrr4200(z3 MI)

Looking at the picture honestly there is no hope, even if you take a cutting. the stems are very veined/shriveled which is a 'goner' stage. Throw it out and start over, now that you have some good tips you wont go through the same thing all over again.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 10:13PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Here's your pic, upright. Unpotting it would yield more info. If you find everything's mushy, it's dead. If not, drying out, as suggested, could help it revive, I'd put in fresh soil too.

Though there's a hole in the bottom of the pot, is there an attached drain saucer also? Or is it a nursery pot in a more decorative outer pot?

Love your floor, BTW!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™