Help identifying

john-88March 26, 2013

Hello everyone, me and my dad have been trying to revive/ repair our front and backyard for a few weeks now.

I was just curious what type of grass or weed this is? We have some areas of the lawn covered with this. We are digging out sections at a time to reseed with Tall Fescue. This stuff is very tough and hard to dig out and seems to have extensive roots. I was thinking it may be Bermuda grass? My dad calls it "Devil Grass".

What type of grass is this?

And what kind of plant is this? We bought it 2 years ago, hoping it would crowd the other plants an spread, but it is very slow to spread. Anyway to deal with the clovers growing in them?

We have lived here 20+ years and have not taken care of the lawn or yard too well except mowing it and watering every now and then. Everyone in the neighborhood has nice yards, ours is an eyesore!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auteck

That's common bermuda.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 10:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john-88

So the first two pics are Bermuda grass? I guess me and my dad were right then lol. We sorta argued about it, me saying Bermuda and him saying devil grass (I googled devil grass, guess its a nickname for Bermuda).

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Grass & pine straw in winter
Part of my yard St Augustine grass, much of which is...
tao55
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™