Fairy Houses

PurplemoonJune 18, 2010

I was browsing some blogs and stumbled across this one where a gal had the neatest little fairy houses. She found them at TJMaxx of all places! Wow. I need to get there and see if my local one has these.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairy Houses

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

How cool are they! Thanks for sharing the link...I've never seen any fairy houses like that...especially at TJ Maxx.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 8:57PM
socalliegal

The whole thing looks neat! Too bad she never mentioned what they were made of? They look ceramic to me. I see she used bird houses as well. When birdhouses became a large rage several years back, I found one at Ross that was so nice (two story house) that I set it in my fireplace. I have a gnome town in my fireplace around the faux logs (gas flame fireplace - makes too much noise when you use it so I don't use it anymore). I had found another birdhouse that is a barn so it accompanies the other big house. I found a picket fence material for minitures and it corrals some wooden geese. Oh I have way too much junk in the house...oh my! I then have christmas lights all strung about the houses, gnomes, geese and vintage style bottle brush x-mas trees that are not flocked (1 foot and smaller). There are more items in these scene but too much to jabber about...lol!

I would think if you want to re-create these you could take regular wooden birdhouses and either slather on hypertufa, cement, stucco, glue on mini tiles, stones or glass marblettes and re-create a faux stone house. I made some garden houses several years ago and made up a crazy mix of paint, sealer, gesso, varnish and playground sand to make a kinda stucco. I glued on the flattened marbles to mimic stained glass windows. I took long straight tree branch sticks to use as trim. I glued rough edged rocks on the roof with thick 'liquid nails' glue for a roof. I had used the top of a soup can and a brass brad to make a clockface to put at the front top of the house. (These where tall houses - got the idea from a garden train yard)
[Clockface. Punch a hole in the middle of the can lid and insert your brad..brads usually have 2 different size legs..so one becomes your hour hand and the other your minute hand. Just bend so they lay flat against the can lid. I did not add numerals...but you could add those with a paint pen or sharpie]

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 10:08AM
luna_llena_feliz

How pretty! I can see why her grandkids love playing there. I wouldn't mind playing there! lol TFS!

Socalliegal, I'd love to see your fairy houses!

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 12:41PM
Purplemoon

Socal, its pretty easy to see these houses are ceramic I think is why she didn't mention it. Yes, there are many ways to make your own.. and other GJers have done some wonderful ones. (Luvstoclick really does a great job and sells her). But for folks who don't have the inclination to do that, this is a nice alternative.

I personally find these unique and charming and thought others would too.
Karen

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™