Help me diagnose the problem and fix my lawn...

BayAreaFamilyMarch 17, 2013

Hi... I just bought a home with a bad lawn. There are (at least) two types of grass growing.

Can someone help me figure out if there's any hope for this lawn?

I'm in USDA zone 9, in Lafayette, CA. We have what most folks refer to as adobe clay soils -- and the soil under our lawn seems to be hard and compacted.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BayAreaFamily

Here's another photo, if it helps. Let me know if there's any additional info you need that might help.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:30PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

You cannot know if that is a bad lawn or not. It's dormant. Here are the 1-2-3 steps of lawn care.

1. Water deeply and infrequently. Deeply means at least an hour in every zone, all at once. Infrequently means monthly during the cool months and no more than weekly during the hottest part of summer. If your grass looks dry before the month/week is up, water longer next time. Deep watering grows deep, drought resistant roots. Infrequent watering allows the top layer of soil to dry completely which kills off many shallow rooted weeds.

1. Mulch mow at the highest setting on your mower. Most grasses are the most dense when mowed tall. Bermuda, centipede, and bent grasses are the most dense when mowed at the lowest setting on your mower. Dense grass shades out weeds and uses less water when tall. Dense grass feeds the deep roots you're developing in 1 above.
  1. Fertilize regularly. I fertilize 4 times per year using organic fertilizer. Which fertilizer you use is much less important than numbers 1 and 2 above.
    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 5:22PM
BayAreaFamily

Thanks, dchall for the follow-up. We just got some rain last week and I'll follow the rest of your advice through spring and summer and see what happens.
Best,
BAF

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™