Cooking oil on grass

lvncntry25March 17, 2009

My neighbor got drunk this past weekend and dumped out his turkey fryer on my grass & driveway I'm not sure how much was dumped but it's about a 3-4 foot circle but I know those fryers hold a lot of oil. what am I gonna have to do to clean it up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

Wow, that,s bad. The only good thing is that it's not petroleum oil. If it were me, I would sprinkle about 1/4 inch of compost on the area in hopes that the microbes will consume the vegetable oil. A little table sugar or dilute molasses on area would feed the microbes. I'm not sure how successful this will be, but that's what I would do. - Bill Hill

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 9:44AM
botanical_bill

I would take off the top inch or two of the soil and replace it with fresh soil. You may want to use the sugar like billhill said. Take off the top inch or two, put down some sugar and cover it with fresh soil.
Good luck.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 2:07PM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

most likely it was peanut oil. if it was cool when he dumped it, then no big deal. it will kill what is there and nothign else will grow until it is absorbed/eaten by microbes. but it ain't going to poison the yard or anything.

i use old veggie/peanut oil to kill the weeds around my LP tank and the outside of my flower beds. also useful for killing small saplings, though on those i pour it on hot.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 2:14PM
texas_weed(7A)

As mentioned it will kill what ever it touched and nothing will grow there until digested. So live with it and Mother nature will fix it, or dig up the soil and replace it.

FWIW you neighbor is a moron, used cooking oil is worth a pretty penny. Use to be restuarants had to pay to haul the stuff off, now they recieve around $2 per gallon from folks who turn it into diesel fuel.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 2:27PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Down here diesel fuel is used all the time to kill plants growing under fence lines. Some people mix it with molasses to restart the life in the soil. I've never tried it but I hear about it all the time.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 7:52PM
andy10917(NY 6a)

Putting a teaspoon or two of dishwashing soap and some water into a hose-end sprayer and watering the spot and surrounding area with the mixture once every 10 days will probably speed up the recovery a bit. Do NOT use antibacterial soap, as you will kill the very soil bacteria that you want to use to help the area recover.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 11:35AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Good idea Andy. I use generic baby shampoo from Wally's. It doesn't have anything in it.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Poor Drainage Area - Ideas?
All of you seem to come up with such good solutions...
BirkdaleSteve
I want the best yard in the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Wes and I'm pretty much a first time...
wesottinger
What type of weed is this?
Having trouble getting rid of this weed. Does anyone...
mikest00
Seeding after burning off the weeds & old stuff.
We burned the brushy stuff and old dried weeds around...
annaceil333
HELP!! killing weeds on a very steep slope
My husband is seriously placing his life in danger...
mhchellebelle
Sponsored Products
Fanmats Camp Stoves Houston Rockets 26 in. x 42 in. Grill Mat Red/Orange 14205
$34.97 | Home Depot
Fire Magic Select 18H Single Access Door
$259.25 | LuxeDecor
Alessi Morrison Kitchen Skimmer
LBC Lighting
AOG 36'' Grill Warming Rack
$75.60 | LuxeDecor
Stainless Steel Smoker Box
$12.99 | zulily