Granules vs. spray liquid

carillon(East TN - Zone 7a)March 2, 2014

For applying pre and post emergent weed control, are granules better than spraying liquid. It seems lawn services like to spray liquid but I've often wondered which is more effective. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joneboy(7)

For pre emergent herbicides use granular formulations, unless you have specialized spraying equipment, not a three gallon backpack sprayer. For golf courses spraying pre emergents is the most effective solution, but for the average home owner it is labor intensive and probably not as effective as a granular app. For post emergent herbicides use formulations that you can spray. Granular post emergent products have a lot of draw backs. The foliage has to be wet for the product to stick to the plant. The particles also have to be light weight so once the particle sticks to the plant it will stay there without rolling off, so being that the particle is light weight the wind can take the product to places you don't want it to go. Also, you usually can't irrigate or have any rain for twenty four hours after application of a granular post emergent product.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 5:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carillon(East TN - Zone 7a)

joneboy... thanks for the very informative reply. Based on your feedback I now have a plan! Appreciate it.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™