What do you guys use to kill crabgrass?

tennessee_fescueMarch 31, 2008

I planted a new tall fescue lawn by seed last fall after killing the old lawn off with round up. I winterized in the fall & applied crabgrass preventer at the begining of March and I'll be damned if I still didn't get some crab grass in an otherwise beautiful fescue lawn. This is the first time I prevented and it is obvious I will have to do it earlier next year (prolly February). My question has to do with the crab grass that has sprouted. What is a good product to use to kill growing crabgrass and not harm my fescue? Either organic or chemical is fine, what ever will get this pest out of my yard! Also should I apply a second round of preventer in May to keep the barrier strong? Thanks for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
captaintom

There azre several brand name crabgrass killers on the market. All worked well for me, i.e. they killed the crabgrass. However, I suggest you try to do hand weeding.

The dead brown spot the sprays leave is unsightly, and with fescue the dead spot is not filled-in until you overseed. The spray is fine if you catch the crabgrass just as it is emerging. Then he visible damage is minimal.

This May I am trying a reapplication of preemerg like you suggest.

Capt Tom

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 9:46AM
turf_toes(SE Pennsylvania KBG)

Make sure you are really dealing with Crabgrass. It seems a little early for that, even in TN.

I'd suggest that you take a look at some pictures of unimproved Tall Fescue and see if that is what you have. Many folks mistake Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue for Crabgrass.

Ky31 is a very wide-bladed grass.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 9:58AM
tennessee_fescue

Trust me it's crabgrass, I know my nemisis. Tall wide leaf stalks all originating from the same single root and growing law to the ground outward. I dont know why people think crabgrass starts growing in the summer, here in tennessee it started 3 weeks ago.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 10:18AM
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

Yeah, probably because of a milder than usual winter...like last year. I've seen some too around my place. Hell, it was warmer some days in Jan than it's been the last 3 days here. Weird!

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 11:46AM
tennessee_fescue

I got some ortho weed b gon with crabgrass killer for use on lawns. I'll give it a try and let yall know what happens.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 1:24PM
gagnon98(SoCT z6)

tennessee fescue,

I know it's been QUITE a few months, but did you ever find a reliable crabgrass killer? I'm in CT, the crabgrass is going strong, several patches are sending out seed stalks. I can't use RU or I'd have too much dead grass on hand. Is there really anything that can kill crabgrass and not the surrounding lawn? Btw, I applied pre-emergent......twice in fact.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 9:10AM
rdaystrom

MSMA, Monosodium methanearsonate. Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 6:15PM
lamcon

I posted something on this a couple of days ago. It was the final results of a journal I kept on using Drive 75. It was pricey but did an awesome job

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0715092124677.html?1

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to other topic

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™