anthurium care

marricgardensNovember 8, 2012

I have just purchased one and it seems to be doing really well. It came in a green plastic pot and now it is pot bound, should I repot it? What kind of soil would be best? Right now I use Miracle Grow 12-4-8 fertilizer and have used it every 2 weeks. How much light should I give it? I have it in a west window and it seems to like it. Any advice? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Hi, Marg. Give it all the light you can, w/o having it in direct sun. It likes a very coarse soil that doesn't stay soggy after you water, and should be allowed to get fairly but not completely dry between waterings. Your 12-4-8 fertilizer is a very good choice if you're using a commercially prepared soil. If you decide to MAKE your own soil, be sure to include some garden lime in it (already in commercially prepared soils) as a source of Ca and Mg, which the 12-4-8 lacks. This plant likes it WARM, so be sure you try to keep it in a spot free from cold drafts.

Al

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 9:26AM
marricgardens

Thanks for the help. Right now it is still in the original pot and rather pot bound. I was considering repotting in the spring but then remembered that some plants do better when potbound. Do these plants like to be pot bound? It gets direct sun late in the afternoon but more so in the summer but I can then move it to a north window where it will get bright light but no direct sun. Marg

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 10:42AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Click the link to read why no plant likes to be pot-bound. If your plant is badly root-bound, a good strategy would be to pot-up temporarily to a slightly larger pot, then do a full repot in June - around Father's day is about the ideal time for most tropical houseplants. That ensures a fast recovery & less chance disease or insect infestations would become an issue during the more vulnerable recovery period.

Al

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
Whittle Stool in Walnut
$399.00 | LexMod
Cocktail Monkeys Personalized Eye Mask
$52.00 | Horchow
Hand-crafted Foldable Directors Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Wouldn't It Be Nice Boxes - Set of 2
$179.99 | Dot & Bo
Hilo Natural 50 x 108-Inch Blend Curtain
$54.95 | Bellacor
Cassara Backless Outdoor Bench Cover
$54.50 | FRONTGATE
Alessi | SG67 W Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
$199.00 | YLighting
Pineapple Border Outdoor Rug
$39.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for: