Something dead in dormant bermuda

mikealltogetherMarch 22, 2014

Good Morning,

My wife and I recently bought a home and the yard is going to be quite a project since it has been severely neglected. We're in the DFW area, so the Bermuda is still dormant. However, there are dark/black areas throughout the front yard, that I believe may be dead Bermuda, but I'm not 100% sure. Hoping it's nothing disease-related.

I've attached a few pictures of the yard. The first includes the neighbor's yard to help show the contrast (not that it is necessary). Then there is a closer up picture of a black area, and then a picture of some of the pieces I pulled out.

What can I do about this? I'm familiar with the general rules of thumb for maintaining a Bermuda yard, but I'm not sure fertilizing, aerating, and deep watering once a week when the Bermuda starts to green up is going to be a solution for this large of a problem. Or perhaps it is. Any guidance/advise/tips/comments are appreciated!

Michael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikealltogether

Second close-up picture.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:49AM
mikealltogether

Pulled out dead stuff.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:50AM
mikealltogether

One last picture of the dead stuff up close.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:51AM
joneboy(7)

Wow black and red do not look good on bermuda. This yard looks under fed to me. I think a soil test would be a good start, and start killing those broad leaf weeds. Once you get soil test back follow recommendations and go heavy on the nitrogen to get the lawn grown in. Also, this could be Spring Dead Spot areas usually start off straw colored and turn black as healthy bermuda is greening up. Nothing can be done to stop the decline, but a pH around 6.0 and keeping potassium levels in the adequate range helps lessen the severity of the disease going forward. I would take those plants to the county extension office and ask them what they think is going on.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 2:23AM
apundt-tx(8 SW Austin)

Looks like bermuda decline or maybe somebody spilled gas filling up the mower.
You might try looking up google earth at the street view and see what the lawn looked like back then at that spot.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 10:30AM
joneboy(7)

Bermuda decline is more a disease of putting green height turf that shows symptoms in the summer. Winter kill and spring dead spot are two problems that begin to show themselves as the bermuda begins to green up in the spring.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™