Does anyone know what this flower is?

smickerdoodleJune 15, 2010

Hey Everyone!

My son was doing some yardwork along the fence line a couple of weeks ago and he discovered something new. We have lived here for 4 years now and I have never seen this plant before. Does anyone have a clue what it is? I love the flowers on it. I also love the rusty old fence it is growing on...but I think the neighbors would love to see it disappear. :)

Micki

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soonergirl1968(7a OKC)

Looks like honeysuckle to me :)

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:15PM
nonacook(8bFL)

Yes, that is honeysuckle. Smells wonderful!

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:49PM
jeannespines

Yup, that will keep climbing & so pretty! I have Mandarin Orange Honeysuckle growing up bench arbor...blooming now but lots of rain knockin' 'em off...will have to take pic. Keep rusty fence! Great combo! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:35PM
desertrat1(Zone8_CA)

I agree. It's honeysuckle. Enjoy! The center part you can suck on- hence the name. My grandparents had it growing along the fence by the pool. They were the ones who told me about it.
Love, Jules

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:42PM
Marlene Kindred

Hi Smick~

It is indeed wild honeysuckle. It is beautiful and smells heavenly, but it also spreads like wildfire and will choke any plant it attaches too! It is considered a weed here in VA, so keep it clipped and in bounds.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 9:41AM
excessfroufrou(7)

Marlene is right on the money, it is very invasive and considered a weed here also. But, having said that, I have always loved it, it just smells like summer here in the south. I would be careful with it in the yard, I have a red and yellow one in a giant pot with a big topiary thing for it to climb on, and it does well.
Frou

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 10:40AM
doodys(9)

it's a wild honeysuckle...Had them on my back fence and sweetest smell in springtime.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 10:43AM
STROBE(zn 7b)

definitely honeysuckle! i say cut it down as fast as you can. it does taste and smell great, but will take over like you wouldn't believe. it has covered my whole property and I cant keep up with its growth to contain it.

Good Luck! :)
Jackie/STROBE

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 4:14PM
lizzardly

Oooh. You are so lucky. Of all the plants that I love that won't grow here in So FL I think honeysuckle is the one I miss the most. It grew on the fence next to my grandparent's property line in VA. I still feel like a kid whenever I catcha a whiff of honeysuckle perfume.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 5:36PM
susiewantsroses(7b)

Ditto on the Suckle.
I had some on a fence. Since it is so prolific it became a lot of work to keep it trimmed, chopped, cut, pulled, etc. (That's what teenagers are for) It would be heavenly in a large container with a trellis support then you could control it easier. But if you are wanting to cover the fence you've got the perfect plant.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 6:47PM
aka_strawberrygoat(PNW-8)

this is all too funny..
I was going to suggest you take several cuttings and plant it all around, in different areas..
guess not everyone likes it as much as a few of us..

I have one plant in a container and will be taking cuttings from it soon.
then I can plant it every few feet along my fence..I love it too. my gramma had it in her backyard.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 7:12PM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

It's Japanese Honeysuckle, Lonicera japonica. It's on most states invasive species list.
Smick, I keep thinking you live in Michigan, it that correct? This vine is on the list.
It's not a good one to have around regardless of it's perfume. It takes over areas in a heartbeat!
If you really want a honeysuckle, there are ones native to North America, Lonicera sempervirens for example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan Invasive Plant List

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 9:13PM
tbledsaw(5)

It is definitely honeysuckle. I transplanted a couple tiny plants of it from my folks' home in KY to my home in IL. I planted both plants next to an unused telephone pole. The vines have grown to the top of the pole! Looks like some type of tree ent almost LOL.
It is a highly invasive plant. If we couldn't mow around it, I doubt I'd grow it, because it truly would take over the yard!
I completely love the scent of it though. It is one of my all-time favorites!

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 11:10PM
daislander(Van. Island B.C Z 8)

hahah definelty depends where you live. If that a weed where you live im jealous. Im considering paying 14 bux for one. I had one and lost it. Then bought some fancy honeysuckle that dosnt even smell! I didnt think that was possible.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 11:56PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

We have honeysuckle bushes here that are invasive. I used to love them until I saw a place in Massachusetts where they had totally taken over a couple acres. They were not so pretty when there was nothing else. It was a bit horrifying like an invasion from mars or something. I still haven't cut mine down (there are lots more than a decade ago), but I plan to this summer.
Kathy

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 11:16PM
joannpalmyra

I have some bushes with flowers that look like honeysuckle but have no scent. :(

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 12:47AM
lamb716

And they attract bees! Had one growing along the side porch & we had to pull it out. Too many bees & we had small children playing near there all the time.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™