Need help identifying a weed and how to treat it

brieninsacMarch 22, 2012

I have a small area of my lawn that is being invaded by a weed from my neighbor. It appears to be some sort of clove. Can anyone tell what it is from the picture and know how I can stop it from continuing to spread?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

That's clover. Weed B Gone Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis killer will take that out in two applications max. Just make sure your grass will tolerate that herbicide, looks like you have a cool season grass, which should be fine.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 6:49PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Yes that is classic Dutch white clover. Prior to modern herbicides, this was included in every lawn seed mix. I'm trying to decide where to buy some clover seed right now for out by the street.

Clover is usually an indicator plant. It like to grow in infertile soil. Have you been keeping up with fertilizer?

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:33AM
brieninsac

I do fertilize every 3 months and did so about 1-2 months ago. I'll definitely look into the suggestions to kill of the clover. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 11:34AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Good job with the fertilizer Brieninsac. Maybe there is a new strain of fertilizer-resistant clover? Seriously, clover is a plant that brings it's own fertilizer into play. There is a bacterium that lives on the roots of the clover plant. That bacterium is said to "fix" nitrogen from the air and convert it into useable fertilizer for the plant. This is why clover can move into an infertile field. Cool thing is there is always some fertilizer left over after the clover gets what it needs. If you have full coverage of clover in your lawn, you probably won't need to fertilize it.

There used to be a guy here on GW that managed two golf courses. He let the clover come in and stopped fertilizing. Everything was great! There were a few special circumstances that made his golf courses different, but in general, clover did its job. Your clover is a straggler.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 1:40PM
brieninsac

So you're saying clover is good? I didn't know that. Why do they make clover weed killer if it's good? Will it always be present or will it get squeezed out by the grass? Thanks!

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Need help with lawn renovation in Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
Applying Prodiamine with Backpack Sprayer
Hi All- Hoping Morph or another GW expert can help...
BondBull
bermuda thin and dry, needs to be revived.
just joined the forum, lots of great info BTW, needing...
tig488
Texas Weed Bermuda Bible
What follows is a generic calendar of recommended lawn...
texas_weed
Seeding after burning off the weeds & old stuff.
We burned the brushy stuff and old dried weeds around...
annaceil333
Sponsored Products
Cooks Standard Stainless Steel 13-inch Covered Chef's Pan / Wok Pan
Overstock.com
White Sunburst Jacquard Tablecloth
$14.99 | zulily
Wayborn Yuenchai Room Divider Screen - 2277
$324.99 | Hayneedle
Riviera Olde Bronze Olde Bronze Four Light Billiard
$384.00 | Bellacor
Yosemite Home Decor 72 in. Ceiling Fan Extension Downrod Chocolate Brown 72DRCB
$37.80 | Home Depot
Chrome Crystal Brushed Steel 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
Komfy Kings Taylor Glider - 94050
$765.99 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 2-Light Outdoor Textured Black Exterior Wall Mount La
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™