Grass and Weed ID. Need help!

harris_turnerMarch 29, 2013

Hi there everyone. I moved into a house about 2 years ago that had beautiful grass and I have since destroyed it. I have no idea what kind of grass it is and there are weeds all over. The picture I included has few weeds compared to other spots on the yard. I don't know how to treat it or if I should even treat it at this point. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tnjdm

Yea, put some parmesean cheese on that Pizza, with everything on it, and eat it. Just kidding, but that is one ugly picture.

-What state (gives an idea of what type of probable grass)?
-Have you ever had a soil test?
-How committed are you (this looks like a lot of work).

This looks like total redo (as I had to do) in order to bring back anything that resembles a lawn.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:38PM
harris_turner

it's pensacola florida. In the high traffic areas it's so much worse. I've been told it's zoysia and i've been told it's burmuda. No soil test. I'm just afraid that it will never come back. If I had a choice to do a renovation, I think I would go with St. Augustine just because i'm more familiar with it and I get a decent amount of shade. I know a reno is more Dependant on soil conditions, shade etc.

If it's burmuda, I would have no idea what to fertilize it with because from what I understand, your general weed and feed isn't supposed to be used on burmuda.

Help me...i'm scared!

This post was edited by harris_turner on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 17:15

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 4:04PM
tnjdm

No doubt it's one of the summer grasses. How many square feet do you think your looking at?

If your thinking St. Augustine, I assume your willing to bring in sod, yea?

Just based on that one picture your probably looking at having to kill everything off and something to churn the dead grass and weeds into the soil, leveling, etc.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Can you post a few more pic's, maybe of some better quality?

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:16PM
harris_turner

The front yard is probably 2500-3000 sq ft. The thought of renovating the lawn is daunting but having it look like crap is even scarier. I only have experience with sod. I helped sod quite a few lawns when I was younger but I don't have the know how to do it by myself. I pretty much just laid the sod down.

The churning, the killing of the current grass, the leveling, the removal of debris is troubling to me. So much unknown territory. Any advice will be great. I'll try to post some more pics soon

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 7:12PM
harris_turner

here are some follow up pics.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:00PM
harris_turner

another pic

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:01PM
harris_turner

another pic

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™