Crabgrass pre-emergent question

wilsocnMarch 4, 2012

I had a horrible crabgrass problem last year with my yard. I am still a fairly new homeowner and trying to learn about lawn care.

A few days ago I bought a bag of Scott's with Halts crabgrass preventer but the window for application seems to very widely depending on which site I am looking at. Some say starting March 1st and I have seen another site that listed early May. I am a little confused. I did read that it should be applied when the forsythia is blooming but I don't even know when that is to be honest. :\

I am in Kentucky, and like everyone else, the winter was extremely mild and we have been experiencing spring like temps for a while now. Is there anyone else from around my area who can advise me on when would be a good time to apply the pre-emergent.

I would appreciate it

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magoo1(7)

It all has to do with ground temperature......if anyone around you has a Forsythia bush, when it blooms out, the ground is warm enough for weed seeds to germinate....therefore, it's time for pre-emergent. I'd feel safe in suggesting you to do it now........

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 3:52PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Ground temp and rainfall. Once the ground is warmed up from winter (such as it was), then the first rain is when you apply. Sometimes forsythia is late.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 8:10PM
kbedwards(8)

Agree - go ahead and do it now for Kentucky. I am in SC and probably should have done mine 2 weeks ago. :(

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 9:38PM
wilsocn

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tomorrow the lawn gets the Scotts and then later this year its getting some broad leaf weed killer. My yard is in shambles!

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 11:55PM
msboo(6Ky)

Hey Wilsocn..... I'm in KY too. Have you applied your Scotts Halts yet? We moved last Spring, I did nothing then, no time. I'm just now getting ready to apply Scotts myself but this time I'm getting the one marked 'Super' on the bag.... has 6 parts more nitrogen. I wonder if this will make a difference, guess I'll see. I'm concerned, due to the mild winter here, I'm a little late but it will surely prevent some of the crabgrass.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 12:41PM
valtorrez(6b)

I put Dimension down last week and I am in St. Louis. Temps have been staying in the 60's. I usually use 0-0-7 because it is not good to put Nitrogen down this early in the season.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Revitalizing and leveling sad lawn
I have a lawn in Northern California that is pretty...
jhalt
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™