First Time Lawn Owner Help

Lobster1March 27, 2013

Hello all,

I recently moved into a house with a lawn for the first time and I am trying to put together a comprehensive lawn maintenance plan. I am in Northern New Jersey and I am trying to figure out what to do and when to do it.

Specifically I want to know when to feed, fertilize, overseed, mow, deal with weeds and pests, aerate, etc. Then the follw-up is what products I need to use to do it all.

If anyone could help me with a really detailed schedule or where to find one that also helps me with the products it would be so incredibly helpful as I am really feeling lost at the moment. If it helps, I have a young child and a dog.

Thanks in advance for the help.

James

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass1950

I would suggest you get a soil test ASAP (logan labs in ohio will do it for $20 and you'll get the results in about 3 days via e-mail). It will save you chasing your tail if there are major soil problems.

Generally:
Apply a pre-emergent like Dimension to prevent weed seed (crabgrass) from germinating. This should be applied once the soil temperature gets to 55-60 degrees. A visual indicator is to watch for forsythia plants to bloom, then drop the pre-m. (if you are aerating, aerate prior to dropping a pre-m--aerate only if needed, just as you don't mow if it doesn't need it)
Spot treat weeds with WBG or similar--you can do this from late spring through fall weather and temps permitting.
Mow the lawn as needed at a height between 2 1/2-3", but mow often enough that you do not remove more than 1/3 of the blade.
Apply 1/2-1# per 1000 sq. ft of a slow release nitrogen fertilizer ( you could use a triple NPK) between the last week of May and the first week of June.
As summer heat begins to set in (end of June-beginning of July), raise the mower to 3 1/2 to 4".
Late August/early September, apply 1# of N per k of slow release N.
Early Sept (once temps drop form summer like) set mower height to 2 1/2-3"
Aerate if needed Sept-October--but early enough that the grass is still growing and repair itself.)
Overseed late august to September. Some overseed after aeration.
Early October, apply another 1# of slow release N with K (called winterizer by some).
Once the turf ceases top-growth, drop mower height to 2-2 1/2" for a final mow and apply 1# of quick release N- Usually mid Nov-early Dec. (also called winterizing).
You can substitute organic sources for any or all N apps except the final fast release N app.
Apply any other amendments during the year as recommended per soil test.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:30PM
More Discussions
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Lawn care novice
I recently purchased a home in late fall and I'm new...
cdouglas10683
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™