E-6000 vs. GE Silicone II

tbledsaw(5)June 16, 2010

The summer bug has finally bitten me! I've created a windchime this week and I have not 1, but 3 gazing balls in the works!

Being the novice that I am, I made my first gazing ball several months ago, thinking that hot glue would do the trick. It seemed like it would be able to stand up to the weather, but alas and alack, it did not. The glass globs began popping off at warp speed. One of my gazing balls from this week is the re-do of the original one. It has been quite interesting getting the old hot glue off the ball! Still has a ways to go, but will likely be ready for regluing tomorrow LOL

So, one ball I'm using E-6000 glue and another ball I'm using GE Silicone II. The E-6000 smells to high heavens, and I find the glass globs like to slide around with this glue.

The GE Silicone II is not quite clear. I've read on other forum conversation threads that it could be because it's an odd batch or it's old. I continued using it anyway, simply because the bug bites hard!

I find it is incredibly easier to apply the GE Silicone II than it is the E-6000. Plus the silicone doesn't smell as harsh as the 6000.

The downside of both glues is that they don't dry nearly as quickly as hot glue LOL

The definite plusses are that the glues are both long-term and weather resistant.

If I had to recommend one over the other, I would go with the GE Silicone II, simply because the ease of use and the lesser harshness of the smell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I use GE Marine silicone...it's clear and it comes in a manageable tube and boy does it stick!(downside it costs almost $4.00/tube!) Well, it dries in 10 minutes! So I can get a good bit of work done on a bowling ball in a day...I'll glue about a 4"patch, wait 10 mins and do some more...DH says it reeks to high heaven but I don't notice it!lol! I have heard silicone fumes are very bad for you!!! I have switched to making round balls of concrete instead of bowling balls as they could crack when frozen in the winter weather, and concrete doesn't. I make them by mixing up quickcrete and pouring it into an old round glass light fixture, let it cure then smash the glass off it. I just bought some gorilla glue that I may experiment with....mortar is always good too. I seem to love doing glass on glass projects and so have a good supply handy of the marine silicone for that.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 1:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurastheme(8)

I've never seen the marine silicone. Where do you get it?

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™