TTF Brown spots in Northeast lawn after snow thaw!

hamden_CT(6)March 28, 2013

Hi everyone,
I need your help. I am a little frustrated after putting down a completely new lawn last fall and potentially having to repeat the same all over again. The seed used was a lesco tall fescue blend. It was absolutely beautiful after germination. It turned heads all through the winter. It was the perfect lawn until mother nature dropped 47" on us here in the northeast. Immediately after the thaw, I noticed the multiple spots/ patches. My heart dropped in fear that I will completely lose my lawn. I attempted to investigate the spots and noticed a few things.
1. The brown grass is not freely removed when pulled.
2. There are several dirt mounds throughout the lawn.
3. As the temps becomes more favorable, new shoots are attempting to sprout through some brown spots.
4.Around the perimeter of a large burning bush (where the lawn meets the foundation mulch/garden) there is no sign of any spots. This particular area was protected by over hang branches limiting snow accumulations.

*Last fall I also cut the last fertilizer dose in half to minimize snow mold.
Please help me get my lawn back to where it was. I have some seeds left, I can over-seed if need be.
Thank you for the anticipated assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hamden_CT(6)

Here's a before pic

Here is a link that might be useful: Before

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:56PM
hamden_CT(6)

Here's a pic of mound.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:02PM
hamden_CT(6)

Here are examples of shoot coming through spots

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:07PM
tiemco

Looks like snow mold to me. Snow mold is typically benign, as long as your crowns aren't affected. Your lawn should grow out of it in a month or so. Raking your lawn lightly to unmat the blades should help the new blades grow though the dead ones. I have some patches myself, and I'm in CT too. I'm not worried...yet.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:14PM
hamden_CT(6)

Just the guy I was hoping would respond :) thanks tiemco. My plan is to cut low w/o scalping, light overseed and some fert. As soon as the forsythia begins to bloom. What do you think?
Thank you

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:36PM
grass1950

If it's grey snow mold, it will recover fine. Like tiemco said, just rake and wait.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:55PM
tiemco

I would probably hold off on the overseed unless you see that you have areas of no grass. A low cut after a light raking is a good idea. I usually do my first cut lower than normal, especially if there is some rain due in the next day or two. The only fert I would use would be organic until late spring. No need to force topgrowth early in the season.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:29PM
dogfriendly123

It may be a long shot but have you considered that it may be an animal that's causing the mess? We had a lawn that looked v similar to this about 2 years ago and were very puzzled as to what it could be - did a bit of research and discovered that it was the nitrate's in our dog's urine causing the burn. We used a product called Dog Rocks - which filters the excess nitrates from their drinking water, and have a had a lush green lawn ever since! I think you can buy it in most general pet stores. It was a lifesaver for our lawn!

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™