HELP My totems will not stay straight

waterlily_girl(4)July 16, 2012

I am a newbie glass totem junkie and need some advice on how to keep my glass totems standing up straight. The base of my totems are beer or wine bottles and when I put them over the rebar (with a copper pipe covering the rebar) they slip and sit sideways or crooked. Does anyone have suggestions on keeping them upright and straight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tehuti

I suppose you could put a dollop of Silicon on the copper pipe, then push it into the bottle base, and wait for it to set-up. Then mount the flower on the rebar. Just a guess

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 2:05AM
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

Here are a few suggestions that may help you.

1. use shims (small pieces of wood) at least two (one on each side, four would be better) to steady the totem.

2. Since you are using wine and beer bottle, get corks (hobby stores and poss. wal-mart) drill a hole in middle just big enough for re-bar (You want it very snug) and trim cork to fit into neck of Beer/wine bottle.

3. You can get wood dowels large enough to snuggly fit into the Beer/wine bottles. Trim the end of the dowel to a point so it will be earier to pound into the ground.

4. make a wood cap for the rebar (don't drill all the way thru) glue the cap to the rebar (I use E6000) or make a cap out of a cork and then put a good dab of glue on top of the cap,let the glue set up a few minutes before put the totem on.

Hope this help. Chelcass

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 1:19PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX(8b)

You can buy a foam covering to put on pipe to insulate them, the foam tube is slit to easily go on the pipe, cut a small piece, couple inches long, slip on the rebar or pipe you are using, you can put a bit of silicone to hold it on, then slide the bottle on over the foam it will hold it in place.
You can also use Styrofoam peanuts pushed in to take up the slack in the bottle neck.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:14PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Don't stress about them being crooked. Gives them character to tilt!!

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:24PM
ptpulley(8b Western WA)

I have heard people say they use a plate as a base for their totems, which they bury in the ground a bit, or cover with mulch, rather than using the bottle on rebar.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:50PM
posieh(3)

Yes that's what I do. Use a heavy plate or the old heavy ash trays work or anything flat and weighty. Keeps your totems straight. Even some old farm implements such as a disk or one I made using a glass block as a base. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Glass Totems at Longwood Garden
I was amazed to see several glass totem bird baths...
frankielynnsie
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
A Birdhouse Trellis
Here is a birdhouse trellis I made this summer from...
kirkus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™