St Augustine Sodding...How Long Should it Take to See Growth?

monicakm_gwMarch 21, 2014

We live in NE Texas about 65 miles east of Dallas. We sodded 900 sq ft on a Friday and Sat and late Sunday/Monday had a hard freeze with sleet. The new grass was watered thoroughly with a automatic sprinkler system. That was three weeks ago. The sod still hasn't started attaching to the soil. The area was prepped by tilling, removing all the old grass and weeds, top soil dumped on it, leveled and graded to slightly slope away from the house. There has been ample rain and watering from us. Soil underneath the grass is wet but the few squares I've picked up show no signs of starting to attach to the earth. Called the place where we bought the grass. He said in about 3 weeks we should see small white "hairs" (roots) starting to attach to the earth...I'm not seeing that. He said to give it a couple more weeks due to the freeze but if I kept it wet, it should be fine. Do you guys agree? This is the first time we've done this so I'm really freaking out! TIA for anything you might be able to help with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joneboy(7)

Don't think you have anything to worry about, if the grass is dormant it's just going to sit there until temps warm up and it starts to grow. To ease your mind though you could cut a small piece of sod and bring it inside set it next to a warm sunny window and keep the sod moist. You should see some root growth and leaves green up in a few days.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™