When to Lime?

monicakm_gwMarch 21, 2014

The soil here is acidic. The one thing the company that sold us our St Augustine sod said to do was apply lime. I have Lime-Rite Pelletized Dolomitic Lime. WHEN would be the best time to apply it?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ForsheeMS(Lexington, NC)

There really isn't a "bad" time to put out lime providing you soil needs it. Of course it will need some rain to wash it in so applying it just before a rain shower would be ideal but anytime will be fine.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 10:22PM
joneboy(7)

Send a soil test off to Texas A&M first to find out how much you need to adjust your pH if at all. St. Augustine can grow well in a wide range of pH 5.0 to 8.0. I would aerify and apply lime early spring or early fall. Aerifying allows you to incorporate the lime into the soil at least a couple of inches like moves very slowly in the soil only one inch a year.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:32PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you want more bang for your soil test buck, send the test to Logan Labs in Ohio. You get better (more reliable) results and a lot more for the money. For $20 at LL you get what it would cost you roughly $60 at TAMU. And be sure to tell them, wherever you send it, that you are growing St Augustine.

How are you watering (frequency and duration)?
How high/low are you mowing?

These are important to success with St Augustine.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™