jasmine sambac trouble blooming

mpetrizzleNovember 15, 2010

I have a Jasmine Sambac that is facing a south window in my house, it gets plenty of sun and i try to feed it every once in a while. The problem is, my jasmine always has flower buds on it, but just as the blossoms look like the are about to open, they all shrivel up and die. this keeps happening and i dont know why. I mist it regularly but the room is very dry. any advice one what i could do

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

How many hours of sunlight does it get?

How warm are your temps?

Which state are you located in?

What kind of mix do you have it in and what how often do you have to water?

MIkw

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 10:10AM
mpetrizzle

I am in wisconsin (zone 5). The jasmine gets at least 6 or more hours of sunlight a day, and my room is fairly warm, I'd say 72 degrees F during the day. I water it whenever it seems dry, so a few times a week. The soil is basically just dirt you'd find outside,I give it a weak fertilizer every once in a while though.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 10:56AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sounds like a lack of humidity problem to me.

I'd set the pot on a pebble tray & then when watering, water to overflow such that the pebbles are in water but the pot is ON TOP OF the pebbles, not in the water. That will help.

If it's a long time since the plant was repotted or the soil was refreshed, could the rootball be hardening?

If so (or you feel it was a long time since new mix was added) take a stick & poke some holes straight down into the rootball from the top. Then when you water, water into these holes, helping to ensure that the water actaully gets down into the rootball (rather than the water go btwn the side of the rootball & the side of the pot, leaving the cental part of the rootball unwatered).

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™