Have a toddler around and want to make sure they aren't toxic. Your help is appreciated.
I am NO expert, but I'm pretty sure #4 is a Pothos. Looks like a Golden Pothos. I have no idea on the others. They all look familiar, but I'm terrible with names. :)
#3 is Pachira aquatica, "Money Tree," "Malabar Chestnut" - not toxic.
Kim, I think you're correct on the Pothos. I can't recall if it's toxic.
I think number 2 could be an asparagus fern. Not sure of toxicity. Number 1 is some sort of Dracenea.
You need to get rid of the pothos and the asparagus fern.
excuse me but how can anyone tell someone else what they need to get rid of, could be thats the few plants that they're having any luck with..some opinions need to be left to yourselves
According to the ASPCA, the Pothos is toxic to both cats and dogs (see link below). However, I have both. The dog couldn't care less, but my cat has taken a few nibbles and is still as fat and happy as ever. If you have an animal that is staying away from it for the most part, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Though, it does look like it could use a haircut and a re-pot. :)
Here is a link that might be useful: ASPCA
Plantmasterm, did you bother reading the first line in this Thread?
"Have a toddler around and want to make sure they aren't toxic"
Thus the recommendation to get rid of the toxic plant.
Whoops! I guess I didn't read the top line, either! I have my bad cat on the brian!
I did some searching and I can't find anything that states that Pothos are toxic to humans. They are on some toxic plant lists, but the lists I found them on were not specific to humans and we know they are toxic to cats and dogs. I would just put it up out of reach.
A google search should tell you all you need to know once you have the names of the plants. :)
Plantmasterm, not only is it the opening line, it's the ONLY line & is followed by a request for HELP.
That's why it was suggested those plants be moved on elsewhere.
Thanks for all of the comments. #2 and #4 are in the trash. #3 looks like pachira aquatica, which is apparently safe. Still not sure about #1 though...
My brother used to bite leaves off of his Pachira after he'd had a few drinks....
in fact, that's how I grew my Pachira....from a leaf that he tore off in a fit of intoxication.
In warmer regions of the world, Pachira aquatica produces nuts that can be eaten fresh or roasted,
or made into a flour for cooking. It is often overlooked as a food-source, even in impoverished
South American countries, where people are starving.
Here is a link with a list of safe plants for children (your child is not a dog or a cat!).
Asparagus fern is on it. These lists tend to err on the very, very safe side, BTW.
When I researched castor beans, which were supposed to be extremely poisonous, I found almost no cases of death or poisonings from them. (My mother grew them every year.) Maybe they're just unappealing. I wouldn't risk them, but they will leave off plants that might cause a rash, etc. It may not mean it's a deadly poison like monkshood.
Diana in PA
DD is a pediatric ER doc and I could see if she has a recommended reference. I know she has one for animals (she has cats).