Very cold tolerant, shade loving, winter flowering plants?

sardonicus(7)November 5, 2011

I've got a room in my house that gets very cold in the winter and as a result gets used very little. I would like to find some flowering plants that can be grown indoors with very little sunlight, that will tolerate the cold and flower in the winter. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

How cold does the room get and which direction does a window face? Toni

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 8:53PM
sardonicus(7)

I'd say at its coldest it gets down around 20 and the window faces east but there are trees around it that limit the sunlight considerably. I do have some little grow lights that I could probably setup to offset the light issue a little.

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 9:10PM
summersunlight(5b)

I think it'll be tough to find something that will bloom under those conditions.The majority of plants that flower indoors are tropical plants that, while they might survive temps that low, probably wouldn't actively grow during such low temps. Additionally, a lot of flowering plants require high light levels to have the energy to bloom indoors.
That being said, here's what I would try:
Cyclamen is a winter bloomer that prefers cool temps so you could try buying one already in bloom and see if it can survive in there.

If you wouldn't mind a non-flowering plant, the Norfolk Island Pine tends to be tolerant of cool temperatures and shade - but you'd probably want to give it some protection on the nights that the temp in there dips below 25 degrees or so. I think the Norfolk Island Pine is quite handsome even without blooms, and they're commonly sold during this time of year for 'living Christmas trees'

It's kind of a strange idea, but another idea you could try, if you can find any Icicle pansies on clearance, would be to see if they would grow in there.
Pansies definitely flower freely during cold weather (as long as it doesn't freeze) but I'm not sure how they would do indoors and if the light levels in there would be enough. I just mention it because I've experimented on occasions with outdoor annuals as houseplants and some of them do well.
Impatiens also makes a pretty decent houseplant that can potentially bloom indoors, but I'm not sure how impatiens would do with the temperature drops that this room experiences.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
Tropical Rattan Mirrors - Set of 5
| Dot & Bo
Menagerie Resin Rose Window Panel Holdbacks (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Luxembourg Low Armchair Duo - Fermob
$892.00 | HORNE
Progress Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Low Voltage 50-watt Verde Green
$85.77 | Home Depot
Shanghai Oval Pendant by Trend Lighting
$500.00 | Lumens
Nantucket Tall Patio Planter
Signature Hardware
Iannone Design | Dandelion Graphic Console - Stretched
YLiving.com
Willowbrush Pendant