Gloxinia Dormancy?

eahamel(9a)November 28, 2011

I got a gloxinia a few months ago on sale for $2.00 at the grocery store because it was just about bloomed out. It's doing well under lights, but the leaves started turning brown. I did some research and found that it's going dormant. So, I quit watering it.

This afternoon, I took it off the shelf so I could put it in another room for a few months. Well, it's put on a lot of new leaves, and looks like it has several "stems" that are putting on those new leaves. I gave it a drink with dilute AV fertilizer.

I've never had a glox before and am assuming it isn't ready to go dormant yet. I'm not using heat much and the room is staying in the 60's or 70's.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

If it's sending out new leaves, it's not ready to go dormant. After they bloom they start to die, kinda weird and they die back to nothing, just a pot of soil. It was really weird the first time I saw one do this. I thought I had killed it. They need to be dry for a period of time. I haven't had one for about 35 years. Sorry I can't tell you more.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™