Floppy dieffenbachia

linnea56(z5 IL)November 20, 2011

I have had this dieffenbachia for several years. It has grown so tall that now the stems flop out and look ugly. I like this variety because the leaf centers are almost white, and I have never seen one like this before.

Can I make it resprout by cutting it down to near the base? If so, is it best to do half the canes, first, then the other half once I see signs of new growth?

Or, can I put the cut pieces into a fresh pot of dirt and start a new one? I did that with a dracaena and it worked great. Thanks!

I tried posting a picture using Tinypic, which I have done many times before, but the message with picture attached would not load.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellis326 (Danny)

Dieffenbachia are floppy once they get some height.

Yes you can take cuttings, If it isn't actively growing wait until it is. Let the cut dry a bit before sinking it the soil, you might be able to root it in water too. Mine is about 9ft tall and I keep it tied to a post.

Don't get the sap on your skin, some people find it very irritating. Wash your hands afterwards.

Danny

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

Thanks! I think I'll try making a new plant with the cuttings. If it does resprout from the base, then I'll have two.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Help!! Plant almost died while i was on vacation
Could my plant be exposed to too much sunlight? Should...
raphael1983
Fiddle Leaf Fig Trunk Help
Hi, I recently purchased a Fiddle Leaf Fig and it’s...
Donnie
Plant identification & care
Are the plants in the photo a variety of Dracaena?...
bobv2
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™