Using Roundup Around Shrubs

reinholdtMarch 19, 2009

I have some unwanted grass creeping into my flowerbed, where it's a couple of feet from some decidious shrubs. Is it safe to use Roundup in this situation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

Yes roundup can be used within a couple inches of the trunks of shrubs. Use extreme caution and use as little product as possible to get the job done. Do it when the wind is calm.
Bill Hill

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 5:33PM
denverdude

A trick I learned to reduce drift is I took a gallon milk jug and cut off the bottom. Then I stuck the end of the wand of my sprayer into the top and taped it. That way you can completely surround the weed with the milk jug and spray the daylights out of it without worrying about drift.

There are also products out there that will kill grassy weeds without harming most ornamentals. The most popular is fusilade. It is under many trade names and found in garden centers and such. Look for the active ingredient fluazifop-p-butyl.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 9:04PM
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

Good idea denverdude. Might try that one. I've wiped out more than one shrub by spraying RU. Seemed like every time I got out there to spray the wind would come up...was still as could be before. Geeeshhh!!!

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
I want to remove deep roots . . . once and for all!
Hello, I've tried shoveling out some deep roots, but...
figsinhawaii
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™