What should I do?

tdhawksMarch 28, 2014

Hey guys -

So, last fall I overseeded a fescue mix and watered like crazy. The yard looked great before winter and I am hoping it will look just as good this spring.

However, this winter has been very dry with little precipitation, especially in our area.

Most of the yard is in great shape, however, there are a few spots that have been beaten up pretty bad with my dog roaming the yard. Due to it being so dry, his claws just ripped up the yard along my fence line.

How should I approach this?

Would it be ideal to see what the yard looks like when spring gets here? Or, should I toss some seed on there now or in a month or so? Clearly, spring isn't the best time to overseed, but it is just in a few spots and not the entire yard.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdhawks

Here's another shot of the lawn. It is pretty bare in some areas. Damn dog.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 6:24PM
PKponder TX(7b)

The dog is so cute and it's really a small area :-) I have no idea how to repair the area, just love your dog!

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:18PM
JonCraig(6b)

I'd at least try seeding those spots. When you say "practically bare", that sounds to me like, "open invitation for weeds".

Just keep in mind that (you already know) seeding in spring means no pre-emergent (unless it's mesotrione) and the regular watering to establish--and more water to nurse it through summer if/when it gets hot & dry.

Also, folks smarter than me might chime in with suggestions on different cultivars of fescue that might hold up better to your four-legged friend.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:32PM
rlhernandez86

Any other ideas, my lawn looks the same way with two dogs.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 4:52PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The dog will likely always tear up the area by the fence. I would put several inches of mulch in there for him/her to rest on. It isn't grass but I'm afraid it will always be mud otherwise.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™