henbit headache!!

walt1(7 a)March 12, 2012

Hello Everyone,

This time of the year the ugly Henbit appears, and this year more it seems because of the mild Winter we�ve had.

In previous years�.of course I sprayed (use Speedzone) and if not mistaken last year sprayed twice.

QUESTION:

Is there an ideal time to attack Henbit so as not to have to put down two applications?

I live in Zone 7a, Virginia

Thanks,

Walt1

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovethempokes

I can't help you with a rememdy but I can tell you that I have the exact same problem. I sprayed dimension in the fall and surflan in the spring. It seems as though the mild winter here (OK) allowed the henbit to germinate directly between my standard spray pattern. Thankfully, it's the first weed to go when you take a low mower blade to it. It doesn't change the fact that my yard looked terrible this past month. I'm going to up my dimension application rate (still within the label guidelines!) this fall to see if it'll provide longer coverage. Of course, if you're willing, a good dousing of glyphosate on the dormant bermuda wouldn't hurt...but, I'm kind of opposed to that when a little heat and a few cuts will clear it up in my yard.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 2:04PM
lovethempokes

One more tidbit: weedalert.com states that henbit germinates (on average) in December in your area and November in my area. Of course, that's subject to soil temps and other factors. I'll have to go check my notes but I thought I had preEm down in early Nov.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 3:04PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you don't have much henbit, it is just about the weakest plant on Earth. You can pull it out very easily.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 3:08PM
ZoysiaSod(6a/6b St.Lou TranZone)

Lovethempokes wrote:
....henbit germinates (on average) in December in your area and November in my area

You're lucky. Last year, henbit started sprouting in September in my backyard.

And lots of little new ones have been sprouting this month, especially in grass-seeded bare spots that I've been watering. Wow, henbit loves water.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™