My Lawn is in dire need of help

RobbnvaMarch 30, 2012

Hi I am new here and hopefully can get some advice. I live in a townhouse in Maryland and have had issues with my back yard since we moved in 8 years ago and every year it's something new. My current issue for the past 2 years is nothing seems to grow but weeds. Last season we paid a guy to re-seed my lawn but he did a crappy job, not my lawn is full of weeds (mostly the ones with the purple flowers) and where there are no weeds there are tons of bald spots with moss (or what looks like moss)

I am not sure what the best avenue is to solve this problem. Part of me wants to roundup the entire thing and re-plant seed in the fall, but the other part of me wants to actually have a useable yard this summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

on a side not, if someone can just throw out a name of a good seed to patch bald spots for my front yard, that would be awesome too.

Sorry if I left out something, i'll check back often cause I want to get started on the yard this weekend while it's not too hot and not too cool.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_in_sc

There may be a simple explanation... He may have fertilized and amended your lawn - and the weeds that were already there sprang up....

What sort of grass do you have? Have you had a soil test done to determine what's deficient?

In the short term - use a cheap, broad leaf weed killer product on the weeds... You want something that contains 2-4-D - NOT something that says it kills grass... That will knock out the majority of the "Salad fixin's"

The next thing is to start mowing regularly at the right height.....

Thanks

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 9:00AM
Robbnva

It's tall fescue grass

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:23AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The right height would be your mower's highest setting to keep the most weeds out.

Proper watering is key to keeping weeds away. If you allow the surface of the soil to dry out completely between watering, you can stop the weeds that require daily water to germinate. Most weeds are like that. So if you are watering once a month right now in your area, that is about right. Look to go to once every 3 weeks and then every 2 weeks in April and May. In the hottest heat of summer you should be watering once a week. Note that you will have to apply water for a long time (usually) to get enough to last all month. And let Mother Nature do Her part. If She provides an inch, you won't need to water.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 5:50PM
garycinchicago(Z5 Chicago IL.)

Moss and violets you say?

That means it's wet/damp/soggy and shady/lacks sunshine.
(how's my crystal ball working tonight?)
That's not the fault of anyone. Cut that seed guy some slack.

Install a shade garden instead.
Work with mother nature, not fight mother nature.
It's your property - your responsibly. That guy did what you asked him to do.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:03PM
Robbnva

actually my yard gets full sun light and it's not violets it's more like the example given below

thanks for the advice everyone

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 12:16AM
garycinchicago(Z5 Chicago IL.)

Ok, then you have henbit and ____, what? Because moss does not grow in full sunlight.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
Caring for new sod in Vancouver, BC
Hi, I just have new sod installed a month ago. They...
Arthaith Swan
Need help with lawn renovation in Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
New Ant Hill on top of Grass Seedlings
I put down a layer of topsoil in my front lawn before...
mikec
Texas Weed Bermuda Bible
What follows is a generic calendar of recommended lawn...
texas_weed
Beneficial Nemotodes or Milky Spore?
I have an awful problem with slugs every spring, lasy...
lisaw2015
Sponsored Products
Hand-tufted Vibes Pattern Wool Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
Golden Sky Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - IVORY
$529.00 | Horchow
Williamstown Two Tier Chandelier
$568.95 | Bellacor
Mast Light
Design Within Reach
Brasher Iron Coat Hook - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
Downrod: Hunter 48 in. Extension Downrod Iron 26015
$16.81 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: