another ? before I start

greylady_gardenerJuly 22, 2012

So two weekends of 'garage saleing' and a trip to the hardware to get the silicone, and I am finally going to put together my first totem this afternoon!! ....but was just wondering about how to place them in the garden as I think it may affect my decision as to what to use as a base. I am not sure it the totems are best placed on a secure base of some sort like a square patio stone, or if they would be okay just placed on the soil in the garden. Are they going to be tippy if not on a patio stone? Will the plate on the bottom crack if the ground is a bit uneven and doesn't give even support?

what do most of you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trashydj

I just use a heavy duty plate for a base such as a microwave turntable plate mine work great hope this helps

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 8:32AM
nonacook(8bFL)

I use microwave plates the majority of the time on mine, too. Cake plates are my second choice.
Some put the bottom plate underground, but I keep mine on top, because it keeps the spatter down when it rains.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:44AM
Marlene Kindred

I just put a heavy dish, plate, or ashtray on the bottom of mine..with some width to it. I place them directly on the mulch in my garden and they do fine.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 11:40AM
greylady_gardener

Thanks to each of you for answering my question. I am just home and finished lunch and am anxious to get started.

I settled on a totem consisting of five pieces so I guess I should be able to attach them all at once........or should I do two or three and then wait for them to set a bit.....nervous questions......I just need to 'take the plunge' and not be so worried! :-)

thanks again, I will be back with pics as soon as I can.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:24PM
trashydj

I always do mine at 1 time unless it is really a tall piece

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 8:24PM
irisnquilt(Zn 5)

Now is the silicone the same as Marine Glue? I've been using Marine Glue and the hardware dude said the glue would outlast the glass. Am I doing this wrong?

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™