Clumps of grass (or bad roots over winter?)

gaetanol(z6NY)March 25, 2008

I have noticed areas of my lawn up to 3 sq ft where my grass is being pulled up very easily, even by a strong leaf blower. It looks like the roots have been eaten away, sort of like you might get with grubs in the summer. I did not have this problem at the end of the fall, I'm only seeing it now.

Are grubs active over the winter? Is there some other pest that can explain this loose grass? This is my 5th spring in this house and I never had this problem before, so it's hard to think that it is a natural part of getting over the winter. The winter in my area was milder than usual--not sure if that could be a factor.

I think I will have to reseed these areas, but I want to avoid the problem in the future.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

Grubs are (mostly, anyway) inactive over the winter. I noticed a very few when digging in the gardens that were awake, large, and in charge. They didn't live long. ;-)

You would have been more likely to see the issue at the end of last summer or the beginning of fall if it were grubs, but it's still not impossible, of course. If you can dig and verify that it is grubs...well, do that and get back to us.

Late winter and (now) early spring have been really wet and irregular this year. The temperatures were swinging wildly through March, too, to the point that two of my butterfly bushes frost-heaved right out of the ground, breaking the base roots as they went. Those base roots are as thick as my thumb... I've never seen anything like that before.

It's possible, though also not likely, that heaving and cracking damaged the grass in a few areas. I noticed one or two areas, quite small, where that happened, but I have a newly renovated lawn and it's a bit thin on the southwestern side.

You can reseed, although spring isn't the best time to do it. If it's a bluegrass lawn, it'll fill itself in, eventually. 3 square feet is about 1.7 feet on a side, a bit much for KBG to do in a single season, although feeding it will help. Fescue and rye won't repair that fast or that well and will require reseeding.

You could pull plugs from the inevitable areas where the grass grew into your gardens or onto the foundation. Keep them watered for about a month and they should take.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
Logan Labs analysis
I finally got a Logan Labs soil analysis. The numbers...
timtsb
Caring for new sod in Vancouver, BC
Hi, I just have new sod installed a month ago. They...
Arthaith Swan
Convert lawn full of old dog feces to normal lawn
Hello, I would love some advice on trying to get a...
jillian242424
What do I need to have a decent(not show quality) looking Lawn?
First, thank you in advance for the assistance. I have...
mat2cam
Cannot find Lesco 15-5-10
HD no longer carries the Lesco 15-5-10 fertilizer...neither...
pepcatch11
Sponsored Products
Make Nice Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Twiggy S1 Lens 4 Inch Square Canopy Vanity Wall
Lightology
Savannah Aluminum And All Weather Wicker Rattan Patio Dining Chair - Set of 4
$834.99 | Hayneedle
Fallon Sapphire Blue and Winter White Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$369.60 | Bellacor
Finn Rug 10' x 14' - CHOCOLATE
$3,449.00 | Horchow
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Charcoal Gray 4 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™