Cracked Plastic Bird Bath

easternwa_womanJuly 20, 2010

The bowl of my plastic bird bath has two hairline cracks in the bowl and won't hold water now. Any ideas on what I can do with it so I can continue to use it as a bird both? Thought about plastic glue and broken plates to cover the bowl but not sure if that's safe for birds or if it will hold up. Each crack is in the center, crossing each other and are about two inches long. Hate to just throw it in the trash..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tbledsaw(5)

I've heard tell of others using plastic bird baths as a mold, filling the entire thing with concrete and then having a concrete birdbath instead of plastic.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:53AM
Marlene Kindred

You may be able to use silicone to glue it back together...that won't hurt the birds. Some of our GJers have also mosaiced their birdbaths...you could do a search in the bar at the bottom of the page to see theirs.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 2:18PM
pondgal(6a Pa.)

I had a big crack in one once and we used epoxy on it. Just painted the epoxy over the crack. It worked !

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 4:15PM
sunnyca_gw

Someone in last couple of months used a plastic birdbath for a concrete mold including the base so whole thing is concrete now. Think she used something in it-Vasoline or something so the concrete would release. Even looked like a great little table or plant holder. But it may have been on here or the forum "trash to treasure" Think it was posted as a birdbath. Jan

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 12:44AM
beck_wi(z5 WI)

I had one that cracked. I put a gob of silicone on my index finger and pushed it into the crack.... it held water for years after that until a tree branch landed on it.

I just couldn't throw the base away just because the top was smashed so I have a base to play with. I was thinking the other day how it would be cool to drill holes in the sides of the base and grow annuals in it, like those hanging bags.... or maybe I could stick hens and chicks in there too.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 11:22PM
silversleuth

My birdbath is 1/4" thick and made of some sort of heavy plastic. Years ago it developed similar cracking with part of it pushing down, possibly from freezing water. I push the parts back in-line and spread silicone based adhesive over the crack. This has only temporary success, 6-9 mos. I'm looking for a more permanent fix, perhaps trying epoxy next. Any other ideas? Anybody know what plastic bird baths are usually made of?

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 12:14PM
jlily(Z6)

I know it would not be a birdbath but my cement one got a crack. I filled it with dirt. It made a delightful succulent planter. That might give you another option. Jlily

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 8:20PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I used mine as a mold to make a concrete table. I filled the bowl with concrete to make the table top but you could probably cut the top open and put in concrete to make a bowl that would hold water.
Kathy

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 9:01PM
jeannespines

I love that mold idea for a cracked birdbath...awesome, crete! Concrete should last a long time!
Jeanne S.

Bookmark   December 30, 2011 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™