Self-waterers?

wandering_willow(6 NYC)November 8, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I just found out that my dorm building is being closed up for my whole four week winter break. I knew we were not supposed to stay, but assumed we could get back in if we needed and that I could get back in to check/water my plants every so often. Mostly this is not a problem and my plants will come home with me for the break (not a long ride, and the same temps, so no real trauma) but I have a couple larger ones who I moved in borrowing my aunt's minivan, and would rather travel with them as little as possible... The dorm will stay moderately heated, and they are near big bright windows, so they should be fine, but I worry about water.

Does anyone have any experience with self-waterers like the ones in the link I will attach? Do they work? Is there a brand you recommend? Worst case scenario they just come home with me - no big deal, and I'd miss them anyway, but I was just curious if this was a possibility....

Here is a link that might be useful: self-waterers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gobluedjm

I have used those and yes they work. The plant has to be moist to start with. I put the other ends in a pail of water nearby.
I got mine from gardeners.com which are no longer available. That is a good price you found on amazon.

With the dorm probably cooler they will need less water anyway. As long as no one is in there tipping over the pail they should be fine.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™