Mixing Bermudas

Meghan MccarthyMarch 28, 2013

The builder of our house sodded bermuda grass in the front yard, and we opted to sod the back yard. We don't know what type of bermuda. All we can get out of the construction manager is that it's, "just plain bermuda." I'm tired of bugging him to clarify if he means common bermuda, or if he went with Tif 419.

SO, my question is whether it's OK if I just go with Tif 419, even if the front yard is common? Will they look that different (the front yard includes the side yard, which mixes the back yard). Can I care for them the same way? Or do I just need to keep pushing till I get an answer? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texas-weed(7A)

Your in TX, all Contractors use default Bermuda is Tifway-I aka 419. It is a hybrid thus no seed. There is no improved common Bermuda that can match the quality of 419.

Keep in mind the GC did not order or have much of anything to do with the grass other than sign a check., so he likely has no clue what type of Bermuda it is. He hired a sub contractor who did the actual work. In TX every landscape contractor unless told and paid extra to do otherwise uses 419. Every sod farm in TX has it, is the least expensive grass on the farm, and is the farmers #1 seller bringing home the bacon.

This post was edited by texas-weed on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 9:51

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:33PM
Meghan Mccarthy

Awesome. We were going to go with Tif 419 based on what I read elsewhere on this forum. Thank you for your response!

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 1:56PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

And if you don't already have it, Google the Bermuda Bible and memorize it.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™