Caring for Resurrection Plant (Selaginella) Questions
Bought this from the hobby store today because I thought it looked interesting and I wanted a house plant. This one came from a kit made by manufacturer Dunecraft. I noticed mixed reviews for this plant kit on Amazon.
Honestly, I'm not expecting my Resurrection Plant to be fully green like the one on the box. It still amazes me even if it doesn't amaze others!
I do have potential concerns as I want my plant to be healthy and not completely die anytime soon. Hopefully some here have experience with this specific plant.
1. I am told that mold can start growing on the plant itself after a short period of time, but that the mold can be removed if this is the case. How can I reduce the likelihood of mold on my plant or prevent it all together?
2. Should I keep the plant constantly supplied with water or should I let it go through dry periods? If the second option, how often should I let it completely dry and shrivel up?
3. How much water should I be giving my plant? I am told they survive on very little water.
4. Would it be okay to supply clean water daily (I'm not exactly sure if this prevents mold growing or not)?
5. Can insects be attracted to this plant when it's inside a house? Will I suddenly see my plant with insect infestation?
6. From some reviews I've read, the plant can give off a bad smell. Mine has quite an earthy smell but that's only if I get close to it. Regardless of that, how can I prevent bad smells from happening?
7. How long do these plants live? Do they live decades or centuries?
8. How can I prevent new growth with the plant, as it has some brown spots?