Another New Addition

val1(z4 UT)November 18, 2012

I also found this cute little plant at Walmart. It was labeled "Lipstick Aeschynanthus radicans gracilis" so I thought it was the typical lipstick plant which I have been wanting. When I got it home and researched it, it was a little different. From what I read, it is just Aeschynanthus gracilis and is commonly called Red Elf Vine. I hope I can get it to bloom. If someone has photos of theirs in bloom, I would love to see them. I would also appreciate any information on getting them to bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Very nice, and I see it has flowers just like a Cyclamen ;) j/k

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:46AM
birdsnblooms

Val...you have yourself a VERY nice, healthy Aeschynanthus.
To find at Walmart of all places..Lucky.

Sun..if you want your Lipstick to bloom, it needs sun..as much sun as possible. Including direct.

Humidity..if you have a sunny bathroom window, let it hang before the window..West is the best. :)

Lipstick's bloom between spring and summer, when sun is strongest.

I no longer have Lipstick, but I'd alternate fertilizing with an all purpose one month, then flowering the next. Another opton is using a balanced fertilizer. Ex. 10-10-10

Congrats, wishing you many blooms..

Larry, lol. Toni

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:19AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Wish we had a walmart here....

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:15AM
birdsnblooms

Larry, you don't have Walmarts? I thought they were througout the nation, like McDonald's??? lol

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:42AM
val1(z4 UT)

Larry - That cyclamen is one of my best bloomers. It is a fake and I love it. The african violet is a fake too. My daughter has beautiful real african violets in her room that bloom almost continuously. My real cyclamen was attacked by spider mites and I had to part with it. I wish you had a Walmart too. You just have to rescue the plants on arrival.

Toni - I was having a very good time shopping for plants. I now need to find Aeschynanthus radicans so I can check that one off my list too. I will place it in my south window for now. My goldfish plant bloomed very well there. I am starting to run out of window space.

I am concerned about the soil this one is in, it fills like it is heavy with peat moss. When should I repot and with what type of soil?

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 1:22PM
birdsnblooms

Val. www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com sells quite a few Aeschynanthus. Including variegated.
Don't know if he has any in stock now, but worth a look-see.

If it was my plant I'd wait until spring to repot, unless the soil holds too much water, or terribly root bound.

I mix a little peat in soil of certain tropicals, but only a small portion...

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
j k
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™