Plant propagation

bjwilli88(6)November 10, 2010

Hi everyone. I am a new member and fairly new to indoor plants. I was just wondering if it's possible to propagate plants in the winter, or if you have to wait until spring. Specifically, I'm currently trying to propagate a cutting from aloe vera, a leaf cutting from a jade plant and a cutting from a pothos that I'm trying to root in water. Am I wasting my time with this right now being as it's creeping up on winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Bjwillie,

No, not necessarily wasting your time. A Pothos can be water rooted any time of the year, I started some a month ago & they're doing great now.

A Jade leaf will happen eventually, not sure how you exactly you mean a leaf cutting, but usually if left dry for some time a Jade leaf will develop roots.

Aloe cutting, again, tricky words. An Aloe needs a division, like one small plantlet w/ its central crown (rosette); it won't grow from leaves themselves. I don't think I'd tried it Winter, may be VERY slow.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 12:34AM
bjwilli88(6)

Thanks for the response. This forum is awesome!

Just a little more information on what I'm doing.

The jade plant, I cut off a leaf and just set the cut end on top of dry soil, basically just leaning the leaf up against the side of the pot.

On the aloe vera, I cut a 4 inch leaf from the plant and let the cut end callus over for a few days. I then stuck that into a small pot with cactus and succulent mix. Does this method work, or does it have to be by division?

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 10:21AM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

That will not work for the aloe.
As PG stated, it must be an offset, or the leaf needs to have some of the stem attached. Just a leaf will not root. Sorry...
JoJo

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 10:54AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Glad you're finding this helpful so.

Additionally, if you check out next door at the Cactus & Succulent Forum (C&S for short, see top of this site) you'll find lots of info. on both Jades (more than you'll know what to do with) & Aloes, including Aloe vera.

The Jade leaf as you're describing it sounds just right, just don't water it yet. After a while, it'll put out tiny roots & eventually baby leaves. Then, you can water the mix very lightly, but pls. NO WATER 'til you see new growth. Enjoy!

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 12:29PM
bjwilli88(6)

Good to know. Thank you very much! I guess I'll just go ahead and throw out my aloe "leaf cutting", lol. I'm glad I checked here so I wasn't waiting around for something to happen.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 1:02PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

PG~
Good of you to direct bj to Cactus and Succulents. :) I spaced it out. (crazy day here)

bj~
I was going to try and root a hybrid aloe the same way and the good people @ C & S were kind enough to teach me.

PG is right, you'll find tons of info there.
Hope to see you over in cactus.

JoJo

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Black 24-inch Plant Dolly
Overstock.com
Jaipur Nostalgia Casablanca Modern Moroccan Pattern Wool Knotted Rug Multicolor
$194.00 | Hayneedle
Fosters Point Planter With Zamioculas Plant
Beyond Stores
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Organica Natural 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Pitchfork Plant Stand
| Dot & Bo
Oval Rooster Tub Planter
$69.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™