Yucca Cane

black_thumb_2010November 30, 2010

I've just bought a yucca cane palm from Ikea. Yucca Elephantipes.

COuld some one tell me specifically:

1. How much light does it need? and therefore what would be an ideal plant placement position?

2. How much water it needs? It is in a 10" pot, has 3 canes each with a head full of leaves.

3. How often ought I water it?

4. Any specific tips

I'd really appreciate any help I get.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Very bright light.

You should be thinking in terms of watering on an 'as needed' basis, rather than a schedule. Water when a sharpened dowel rod stuck deep into the pot comes out clean/dry. You should be able to water so that at least 10-15% of the total volume of water applied exits the drain hole. If you can't, you need to find a way so you CAN water as described, or take steps to ensure the entire soil volume gets flushed regularly. The goal here is to prevent soluble salts from accumulating and negatively affecting growth and appearance.

Al

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Blackthumb. In winter, place your Yucca in the brightest window. Although Yuccas thrive in full sun, they need adapting if placed outdoors in summer.

Water when soil is dry. Yucca is or is very much a succulent, and depending on the soil it's potted it makes a difference..
Then again, since your plant has 3 canes and potted in a 10" pot, the soil will probably dry fairly quick. Hopefully, the container has drainage holes. Toni

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
March flowers 2015
Old thanksgiving cactus blooming later than normal. Hoya...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™