Disease on a bush/shrub

cbiscuitMarch 28, 2014

I these bushes or shrubs in the front of my house. I am not sure what they are, but I would describe them as having red berries, prickly leaves, new growth is bright green which then sort of hardens to a darker green as it ages. It looks like holly a bit. Last fall, we had the lawn service we used to use (I am trying to the alfalfa thing this summer) come by and tell us they are diseased as indicated by white spots. He of course offered his services to prevent and treat this disease. At $40 a shot, I find this expensive. I would like your opinions as to what this might be and if I could treat/prevent on my own and how?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JonCraig(6b)

Pics would help, including the spots. You can buy a lot of fungicide and insecticide for $40. But you'll want to correctly identify the problem because often timing is everything (especially if it's something resulting from an insect).

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

First thing I would do is ask this question in a forum which was not a lawn forum. I don't know which one because this is the only one I read, but there are a bunch here.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™