Chlorophytum comosum-spider plant

pat_tom(z5 WI)December 23, 2010

I have a spider plant that is doing great---except that it isn't getting any babies. What can I do to help it along?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Don't know, could be it's still too young, MAY just be a matter of time.

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 1:19PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I can no longer find Eve's Spider Plant page. I wonder if anyone had the foresight to save it to e-mail or some such?

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 2:42PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

PT - Sexual maturity and the ability for your plant to produce stolens & plantlets is determined by the ontogenetic (not chronologic as in humans) age of tree organs. We tend to think of the age of plants in the same manner we think of age in humans or animals - chronologically. We, like plants, go through several life stages - embryonic, juvenile, adolescent (intermediate in plants), and mature, are stages roughly mirrored in plants. Where we vary greatly is in the way our cells age. In animals, body cells all mature at approximately the same speed. Plants grow by consecutive divisions of cells at the growing points (meristems), so their various parts are different ages (the top of the plant is younger than the basal portion, chronologically). So, if the plant has reached a sufficient age to have mature tissues (think of it as a certain number of cell divisions), vegetative reproduction can occur from 3 of the 4 phases I listed above.

Two plantlets from the same plant are genetic twins, yet if planted and grown under different conditions, they can produce their own offsets as much as years apart. The plant exposed to conditions that cause it to grow more slowly will find that plant moving through its growth phases, moving toward sexual maturity much more slowly than a plant grown under conditions that stimulate robust growth.

Plants that seem reluctant to produce plantlets have simply not had enough cell divisions for them to have arrived at sexual maturity. The two things you can do are: WAIT - for the plant to mature, or isolate those factors limiting growth and correct. Faster growth = an increased rate of cell division = plant arrives at maturity sooner.

Al

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™