TifSport performance in filtered sun & heavy shade?

Atlanta-Golf-LawnApril 20, 2014

I have been reading (poaching) the site for a few months, but just decided to join.

I bought a home last August and I believe that I have 419 in the front and back yard.

The previous owner maintained the yard at about 2 1/2" - 3", which is obviously too high for Bermuda. I slowly took the height down late last growing season (1/8" every 2 weeks) to a final height of 1 1/2". I scalped it down to about a 1/2" late March of this year.

The front yard gets a solid 8+ hours of sun and the lawn is beginning to come to life, but the back yard is a different story. The back yard get about 3 - 4 hours of good sun and about 2 hours of filtered sun.

The back yard is still at the same height as when I scalped it and it has no signs of life.

Sorry for the long rambling, but I wanted to provide a little history. I am redesigning a lot of the landscaping in the back yard and was thinking it would be a good time to replace the grass with something more shade tolerant. I have seen quite a few reviews of TifGrand, and people seem to be unhappy, but I have not seen much on the TifSport.

I would prefer to stay with Bermuda is possible!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Nice to meet everyone...LOL

Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrager(Z5 OH)

Honestly, that is simply not enough sun for Bermuda, even TifSport. I get a bit more sun than you and my TifGrand has died back completely now. The Shadow turf, on the other hand, has done really well in the same area. I planted one flat, three years ago. Two problems with Shadow turf: cost and speed to fill in.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:52AM
Atlanta-Golf-Lawn

Thanks for your input Wrager. I am beginning to think that I just need to bite the bullet and put in the zoysia. Any experience with the Zoysia "GO"?
I currently cut my 419 with a reel mower at an 1/2" and would like to be able to do the same with the Zoysia if possible.

Thanks,
Jason

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 1:06PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

What am I missing? Is there a variety of zoysia that likes shade (besides Shadow Turf)? Is Shadow Turf the zoysia you're referring to? It will do will in that much shade. It spreads faster where there is more light but it does spread in the shade.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™