Zoysia Scalping Experiment

oceanfrank(9)April 13, 2012

4/05/2012

4/12/12

All future pictures will be stored here (Click View all):

Optimal height for Empire Zoysia is 1.5" (http://aggieturf.tamu.edu/answers4you/mowing.html).

Running log for 2012

2/29 - Cut Height 3.00"

3/29 - Cut Height 2.50"

4/5 - Cut Height 2.00"

4/12 - Cut Height 1.25"

Lawn Mower only cuts at 0.75, 1.25, and 2.00 at the minimum ranges.

Since I live in Zone 9, I decided to choose 2" over 1.25" as the maintenance cut for my lawn based water conservation and less need for cutting.

After getting a lot of feedback on this site I decided to scalp my Empire Zoysia and let you share in the process.

I know I have had a lot of trouble understanding what is meant by cutting it low, and scalping in the spring. I read about it, got advice, but was not able to find many examples of what it really looked like. Hence, for the benefit of others, I am going to document the process. Every 3-4 days I will take new photos and post. Given this is Empire Zoysia in Zone 9, I expect it to take close to two months to fully recover. Hence you will either share in my defeat at the lawn dies out, or get to watch some good advice turn into a great lawn.

Stay tuned.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texas_weed(7A)

Ought to be interesting. Keep us posted. Have you applied your first fertilizer app yet? If not getter done.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 9:14AM
oceanfrank(9)

I did in mid February 28-0-4...so not sure if I should wait until May, or do it now. Would you really put it down now that it is so short and brown, or wait? Thoughts? I have a bag of 29-0-10 in waiting due to a soil test I recently did.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 9:47AM
texas_weed(7A)

NO. Do not over fertilize Zoysia. Are you in Florida? If so you only need 3 apps per season. Otherwise only 2 apps per season. Apps are spread out 8 to 10 weeks apart. Last app 6 to 8 weeks before first frost in fall.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Protecting Grass Seedlings from Frost
I planted grass two weeks ago and have been watering...
mikec
Poor Drainage Area - Ideas?
All of you seem to come up with such good solutions...
BirkdaleSteve
where do I even start with this hot mess of a yard?
Hi! New to the forums, been a lurker for years! We...
chelseahasrouni
Logan Labs soil results...need some recommendations.
Thanks for taking the time to interpret my Logan Labs...
prorange
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™