Crab Grass - seeding/fertilizer what goes first

kgj-maApril 5, 2009

I live in New England and after this winter my lawn is hurting to say the least. I plan to fertilize with crab grass control included but I am concerned that this will kill the young grass that I have growing. Should this be a concern? When I say young grass it is not anything that I planted this year. I plan or fertilizing with crab grass control then plan new seed in about 2-3 weeks. Please help if I am way off base. thanks

Note that I limed the yard last week and have raked the dead grass/sticks etc off.

Just need help on what comes first (seed or Fertilizer) and if the crab grass control will kill the young grass I have growing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treelover1960(5)

Seed 1st, then when you have cut it once, you can put down weed killer with fertilizer.Or you can put weed killer now but wait a month at least till you seed as weed killer will kill any new grass comong up.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 8:51AM
kgj-ma

Thanks. will the fertilizer with crab grass control the grass I have growing now?

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:05AM
treelover1960(5)

No crabgrass controler will not kill your grass.But it will make it weaker.You will want to put down regular fertilizer again in about 2 months though.You could go with milorginite so as not to overdose you new seeds.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
Need Advice About Sturdy Grass that Stands Up to Active Pets
We have a bare spot (large) in our backyard from our...
frank_il
I want the best yard in the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Wes and I'm pretty much a first time...
wesottinger
Seeding after burning off the weeds & old stuff.
We burned the brushy stuff and old dried weeds around...
annaceil333
Caring for new sod in Vancouver, BC
Hi, I just have new sod installed a month ago. They...
Arthaith Swan
Sponsored Products
Libby 3-Light Industrial Console Lamp with Edison Bulbs
Lamps Plus
Renaissance New Antique Silver Two-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Sco
$812.00 | Bellacor
Natural & Blue Rochelle Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Monster Chair by Moooi
$1,585.00 | Lumens
Ambassador Aged Pewter Four-Light Extra Large Wall Sconce with Clear Seeded Glas
$796.00 | Bellacor
Arteriors Home - Jade Lamp - 46625-107
Great Furniture Deal
5-quart Stainless Steel 12-inch Round Chafing Dish
Overstock.com
Design Toscano One Hundred Thousand Welcomes Claddagh Sculptural Plaque Multicol
$32.90 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™