Tipsy Rain Chain

excessfroufrou(7)July 19, 2010

Here is the tipsy rain chain that I made. I found the little watering cans at the $ store (they were already painted) and I got the chain (already painted) at a GS. Our gutter was bad to overflow on this end and was making a hole in the lawn, so this is my attempt to disfuse it a little. I've wanted a rain chain for a long time, but the copper ones I found on-line were not in my budget, but this was for $8.00. I hope the cans hold up a while (maybe being enameled at the factory will help), they had galvanized ones too, but I was afraid they would rust right away.

Frou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelly_oh(OH z6)

LOVE it!!! let us know how it holds up, I've also wanted a rain chain forever, but just can't see spending that much money. I have some parts I bought to 'make' one, just haven't gone through the process from thinking to doing yet! :)

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 12:50PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

That's so neat, Frou! Do the spouts work? I'm picturing the water running down the chain and out or the little spouts.
Kathy

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 1:31PM
soxxxx

I like yours more than any other that I have seen in picures Your porch looks so inviting and not overly cluttered.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 2:04PM
bverste(zone 5)

so pretty, I wonder if you sprayed it with a clear sealant would help keep the colors bright. very pretty and very clever.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 2:38PM
kirkus(5a)

What a fantastic project! Very creative and so well done! Your patio is sooo inviting! You have been sooo busy this summer creating beautiful things! TFS Bear Hugs! Kirk

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 3:09PM
rafor

Really cute!!!!

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 3:35PM
Marlene Kindred

Love the way your rain chain turned out Frou! The watering cans are just as cute as they can be! AND...I love your bird feeder stand too! Looks wonderful!

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 7:04PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

That is very cute. It will be interesting to see how it works. Did you paint the cans? Cute. Love your totem too. I agree your patio is very inviting!

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 8:20PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Absolutely adorable and so creative. I love the setting presented in your photo, very nice.

It will be interesting to see how the rain chain performs during a heavy rain. You'll have to keep us informed.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 9:11PM
luna_llena_feliz

How cute! And I see your painted your patio furniture to match the rain chain too! he-he It does match your patio furniture perfectly. I always loved rain chains but like you, I think they are too expensive. Let us know how well yours work. You might have started a big trend!

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 11:55PM
jeannespines

Looks good, frou! Take a pic when it rains, will ya? LOL! I'm sure they must overflow from the top & down the chain. I think it is so CUTE!

Menards had those coppery-looking ones are sale earlier & I got one...but DH said wouldn't work good enough that close to the house...so he made a rain barrel for me instead! So I'm lookin' for another project to use it on. I do love the looks of it, too.

As others said, your porch area is gorgeous! Looks so inviting...I'll bring my book over! TFS, frou! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 12:53AM
sunnyca_gw

Love your little watering cans, will be so cool if water could spray out of the spouts! Looks great even if it didn't work that way. I like your porch area too!! Jan

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 1:04AM
excessfroufrou(7)

Thanks guys, we really enjoy our porch and deck daily, even though it has been hot, hot, hot. It hasn't rained yet, but I tested the rain chain with the hose and it actually worked pretty well. The water runs down the chain and into the pots and on about the first four cans the water actually sprays out the spouts.
Frou

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 11:21AM
oldcrafty(8)

What a clever idea! and the price was certainly right on! I bet it is really cute when the water comes out of the little spouts. And I agree looks real inviting.........seems to say come and rest awhile!

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™