alfalfa pellet question

hogan_njApril 27, 2012

I purchased a rabbit feed called Producers Pride @ tractor supply. It does not say alfalfa pellets in description. It just has a breakdown of crude protein etc. There are other ingred. as well. Also states has salt.

Is this what I want to use on my lawn or did I buy wrong stuff?

$13.49

In stores only

Product Reviews

OVERALL CUSTOMER RATING:

12 out of 12(100%)customers would recommend this product to a friend.

Read all 12 reviews Write a review

Follow this product

Product Description

SKU Number: 5031593

Manufacturers Number: 46821

Brand: Producer's Pride�

Animal Type: Rabbit

Life Stage: Pre-Adult to Reproducing Adults

Type: Pellet

Package Size: 50 lb.

Description

Reviews

Please check your store for local pricing & availability. Click here to find your store.

Producer's Pride� Rabbit Feed is a15%-protein feed and the economical answer to producing up to five litters of bunnies per doe per year. Well fortified with essential nutrients, this small pellet helps to minimize waste and maximize intake by adults and young bunnies alike.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min.) 15%, Crude Fat (min.) 1.8%, Crude Fiber (min.) 15%, Crude Fiber (max.) 18.5%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) .7%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.2%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .4%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Vitamin A (min.) 3000 IU/lb, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

Feeding instructions:

Recommendations in oz. of feed per rabbit per day. Feeding rates are based on New Zealand sized rabbit. Adjust accordingly for other breeds. Needs of lactating does may be quite high if nursing large litters.

Mature maintenance/early/mid gestation: 3.0-4.0 (dry does and bucks)

Growing: free choice (bunnies)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hogan_nj

Anyone?

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 12:24PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

That's fine. There's only enough salt to attract rabbits to eat it. Alfalfa is a durable plant that produces easy protein without much processing. That's why it is used as a feed. It is not like wild animals would mow it down because it is so tasty. That is why they add salt and/or molasses to make it "palatable". Horses love molasses soaked feed so the larger pellets are almost dripping with molasses.

If this is a feed store you're buying from, ask if they have plain alfalfa pellets the same size for a cheaper price. My feed store has a difference of $3 per bag between regular alfalfa and rabbit chow. I always talk about rabbit feed because more people know what that looks like than alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa pellets for horses are the size of your thumb and not great for home gardening.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 2:24PM
hogan_nj

Thanks, getting some rain on tues. nite so I will spread it durning the day. The only other feed they had was the huge alfalfa pellets for horses.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 3:52PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Remember it takes 3 full weeks for the lawn to respond. Reason for that is the alfalfa has to decompose by the microbes and other microbes have to decompose the surface microbes and finally, somewhere in the soil food web, plant food is made. Then, all of the sudden, you'll see the grass convert to really great looking.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™